Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Did anyone of you have a problem closing the hood? (wont fully shut closed). It happened to me this afternoon after checking stuff under the hood, and then when I try to close it, it wont shut closed. It seems the latch is defective. I am just wondering if any one here has experienced this. Thanks!

I am bringing it to the dealer because I dont want the hood to just open up when I am driving in the free way :mad:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
What year?

This may be a simple adjustment you can do yourself; see if you can find an adjusting bolt you can loosen to allow you to raise the lower part of the latch slightly. There is usually some amount of adjustability to help correct fit-and-finish issues.

I had to do something similar with the passenger door on my 98.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The_Lizard,

Its 2005. I just got it last Monday and it went back to the dealer twice already. I feel bad experiencing these problems with my 2nd and most expensive subaru.

I brought it back to the dealer this afternoon and they cant figure out too what is wrong with the latch. the releasinf latch (controled by the lever under the steering wheel) is not catching lock the latch pushed down by the hood, that is why. I hope to get it back by monday evening :mad:

joseph

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Well if the dealer can't figure it out then it must not be as simple as I thought it might be.

*G* on my LeSabre, the hood tips forward. The first time I raised it I didn't know that - it rose about six inches at the front and stopped hard. I thought, I hope it's supposed to do that...

:eek:

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Joseph,

Hang in there! The little problems that new cars almost invariably manifest in the first month or two are most annoying.

I've got a sticky clutch. When I let out the fully depressed clutch, it catches ever so slightly right before the friction point, and I lose the feel of the engagement. The result is that I sputter around town like someone just learning to drive a manual.

I've tried to fix it, but to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Otherwise, it looks like a trip to the dealer for me too (an hour away, unfortunately).:mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, im having the same problem on my 98. does anyone know how to adjust the latch or is it the catch? im kinda lost here and id like to try it myself before i take it the dealer. Please Help! i do a lot of freeway driving and dont want the hood to fly up! Negixx what did the dealer do to resolve the problem?
thanks derek

·
Registered
30 Posts
hood latch please help!

Hey guys, i having a problem with my hood latch. it wont close all the way, i already did a search and couldnt find any answers. does anyone know what could be going wrong, whether its the latch or the catch? please help! i do a lot of freeway drving and i dont want the hood to fly up on me!
thanks derek

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
yomincarr, just a note that I've deleted your other thread about this issue.

You did the right thing by posting in this older thread and bumping it to the top of everyone's New Posts list. There is no reason to create duplicate threads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
just a quick note that i tried WD-40 on the latch mechanism and it seems to be working fine now! so if anyone else has this problem give the 'miracle worker' a try first.
derek

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Thanks. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best--you know, like plugging the lamp in!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cable on my 06 has come loose at the latch end (I can see it moving freely when my wife actuates the lever in the car). I'm planning to remove the latch assembly and hopefully I can figure it out from there. I'll update with pics, maybe someone else has this issue some time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
roboconnell
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing