Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2007 Subaru Outback XT
Discussion Starter #1
Just got myself a 2007 Outback XT - sight unseen. Working on minor issues (so far), but this is by far the most frustrating one...

The hood of the car refuses to latch, no matter the force. So I removed the front grille, along with the latch, and cleaned it. Made sure it latches using a screwdriver. The latch went back onto the car, and before I reinstalled the grille, I tested the latch to make sure it works.

It did, latched perfectly. But when the grille was reinstalled, it once again refused to latch. 馃槕

I verified numerous times that the grille was reinstalled correctly - the bottom of it is flush against the bumper and all of the holes align. I also tried placing a piece of foam in hopes of identifying imprints of areas with a lack of clearance - everything seemed fine.

Has anyone experienced this?

Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
EddyD,

Loosen the three bolts that fasten the latch assembly and move the entire latch up, and then try locking the hood and releasing it. If it works properly after two or 3 successful attempts, then move the latch down a 1/16 inch at a time , secure it and test again, until you achieve the correct front hood gap to the grill.

If that gets you nowhere, get to a wrecking yard and buy a used latch assembly from a 2005 - 2009 OutBack, as they are all the same generation. Good Luck!

Registered
2007 Subaru Outback XT
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick and clear response @gbhrps! 馃檹I didn't realize the latch assembly was adjustable, but on the second thought, it makes sense. I will take a look first thing tomorrow morning.

There were a few other posts that said to adjust it, but I didn't understand what they were referring to.

Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
Just got myself a 2007 Outback XT - sight unseen.
This first caught my eye in your post. As the saying goes, "I've got a bad feeling about this .....". :devilish:

But good luck on sorting through the hood; and I would only add that some lithium grease on the moving parts might also help here, given the age of the vehicle.

Registered
2007 Subaru Outback XT
Discussion Starter #5
move the entire latch up
@gbhrps, worked like a charm! When I initially installed it after cleaning the latch assembly, I didn't notice any play in it. Thank you kind sir!

"I've got a bad feeling about this ....."
This is a bit of a project car for me - to try and learn a bit about Subarus. And to encourage father and son bonding (not that it needs encouragement, I'm already the favorite in the family 馃槒). I bought it with a headgasket replacement or even junking it in mind, if need be.

Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
I bought it with a headgasket replacement or even junking it in mind, if need be.
Actually, the XT came from the factory with proper multi-layer head gaskets, and has suffered very few failures for that reason. The rest of us with Gen 3 NA versions of the 2.5i replace the failed ones with multi-layer to fix the problem, usually for good.

Registered
2007 Subaru Outback XT
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, the XT came from the factory with proper multi-lyer head gaskets
For real? That's a bit good news. 馃槄 I ordered the block testing kit, just to be sure.

Also, apologies for the post straying away from the initial hood latch issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts