Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...

With the "functional" hood scoop on Outback XT, will this accessory interfer with performance at all (ie. by reducing the amout of air that goes into the hood scoop, etc)?

I have non-scoop hood ('03, non-turbo), and have this hood protector. I think it's great mainly because I get less cracks & chips on my windshield. Pebbles and stuff must be hitting the protector, upon which it gets kicked up above the roof, maybe...? On my old '95 without the protector, I got chips & craks every winter. On my '03 with the protector, I got none so far (same driving destinations), which is amazing.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
I'd say to just go with a car bra, I've seen many of the deflectors break and scratch the paint and whatnot. Besides most deflectors are held on by little velcro pads, right? So once you put it on you pretty much cannot take it off ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hero Boots said:
I'd say to just go with a car bra, I've seen many of the deflectors break and scratch the paint and whatnot. Besides most deflectors are held on by little velcro pads, right? So once you put it on you pretty much cannot take it off ;)
The deflector on my car is held on with screws located under the hood. I had to remove the grille to install it but I could easily remove it if I wanted to. It also has soft plastic "bubbles" to help protect the paint, although the deflector is not in contact with the hood. The "bubbles" must be there in the event the deflector is forced down onto the hood. I like it and it does do a good job protecting the front end. I often travel off the beaten path and no cracks yet! If I had a new XT though, I think I'd get the 3M clear front end mask. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbo-specific

Since they have a turbo-specific one, I guess my thoughts were not totally off.

Now, one picky question. Do you think this turbo-specific one is slightly-differently cut out in the center to let...

(A) all of air flow in (same as if you don't have the hood protector at all)
(B) most of air flow in (nothing like not having the hood protector at all, but better than having the non-turbo hood protector)
(C) not much of air flow in (almost the same as if you put the non-turbo hood protector)

Obviously it's not (C), since they differentiate in making them separately. So, how "good" is it, actually? Is it closer to the "sufficient-enough" (B) case or the "perfect" (A) case?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Th hood scoop is for the INTERCOOLER, not the air intake system. The Air intake system is still through a small hose on the right front side of teh car (next to the air filter). Given the compression, etc. the hood deflector will not block the air no matter how far up to affect it.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
paganini said:
Th hood scoop is for the INTERCOOLER, not the air intake system. The Air intake system is still through a small hose on the right front side of teh car (next to the air filter). Given the compression, etc. the hood deflector will not block the air no matter how far up to affect it.
Uh, that's what I said: i-c = intercooler.

Apparently it does disrupt the flow of air since Subaru warns to NOT use the deflector that is designed for the non-turbo cars. My guess is that the deflector breaks off the laminar flow of air over the hood, significantly affecting the i-c's effectiveness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing