Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about a cold sure intake or something for my car. I was thinking about maybe creating a ram air system using the factory scoop. From what I can tell air does its through the scoop, so I don't know that it would be that hard to do. Anyone know of this being done before, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
The 1st gen outbacks (among others) already have an excellent cold air intake system, pulling air through what we informally refer to as the "snorkus" box. This gets cold air from the right front inner fender, and it does a great job.

There are aftermarket solutions available, but most of the time they aren't actual cold air systems, even though they are advertised as such. Most of them just put a cone filter inside the engine bay, which (in these subarus anyway) is full of hot air from the radiator. So technically they are reducing performance, though many of them do have the right resonance to give the engine a louder, meaner snarl, and sometimes that's good enough.

It might be a bit tricky to modify the existing scoop for intake purposes. Later models do use the scoop to gather air for a turbo intercooler, but they are fitted with big puffy gaskets to make a decent seal between the underside of the hood and the top of the intercooler. You would have to fabricate something similar to keep the vibrating engine and not-vibrating-as-much hood sealed but not rattling.

You would probably also need a full custom tuning session if your solution did much to change the airflow. The stock ECU programming has fairly narrow expectations and if you get too far outside of that, the car won't run well. That's where it gets to be more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
680 Posts
Dave, your car has a mass airflow meter right after the air filter box. It is designed to 'see' laminar air flow across its hot wire. You would have to mimic the conduit's inner diameter and pre and post sensor geometry and length. Your factory original pulls air from a high pressure location behind the hood and passenger headlamp. You can delete this and play around with a fenderwell style inlet. Also there are harmonic chambers on the factory inlet. It's probably best to leave those alone. On the '98, deleting the cat, adding a high flow air filter, lightened crank pulley, and shedding weight will make the car more responsive. Synthetics all around and opening the plugs up and good wires would be an idea.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting input guys, I had not thought of all the logistics of it.

I will keep this in mind and post further when/if I decide to do anything

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2000 OBW, AT, 290.5k miles when I sold it
61 Posts
I rigged one up on the '98 I had. I used a cone filter and ducting from Autozone. Spectre was the brand, IIRC. There were parts to install the MAF sensor into it, and to tap the one or two smaller hoses into it. I put the filter near the right fender. Then I made a crude 'wall' out of sheet metal to keep the heat away from the filter, and so it would draw from the grille. I used the temp gauge on my multimeter with the stock and the custom setups and verified that I was getting cooler air. Seems like 10 or 20 degrees difference. I don't remember the numbers, but my mileage did increase with that mod, too.

Before that, I tried a real short intake, put the MAF and the cone filter right on the throttle body, and cut out part of the sheet metal under my hood scoop to let more air through. I thought it sounded good in theory (less restrictions, still has all the sensors), but it ran like crap.

I wish I had pics of the setup that worked. Sadly, that car got totaled 6 or 8 months later. :mad:

Here is a pic, you can see the sheet metal peeking out...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts