Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so it seems oviouse that you could make a air box that would sits in the stock air box area but attached up into a WRX hood scoop instead of out of a tube. does anyone make something like this or would i have to make one for myself? I have a 2002 Outback 2.5L.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been searching the aftermarket catalogs concerning the same idea, but so far, notta. I guess it's time to call Jesse James and get him and his guys to create one. Seriously, there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support for the Outback, unlike the WRX...and that's too bad. traintrackker

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of something that was simalar to the WRX intercooler seals and maybe housing for the seal and then taper it down i would have to figure how to make a box that would do all this ****. also i think if you did this you would have problems with the option of a Strut bar.

There needs to be more parts for the Outbacks, just because its a wagon doesn't mean i don't want to handel better, excerate better, etc.

Also does anyone know if a pair of the 1999 Subaru Legacy Lancaster headlights would fit my 02 subaru outback? they look to be the same size and everything just no amber courners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with what you're saying about the need for more parts...and hopefully ones that won't take a home loan to acquire (ie. cold air intake for almost $300). I've been emailing MSD about a replacement coil and from what they told me, they don't offer one...I guess the major companies figure that if you're into Subaru performance, then you've got a WRX...So, I guess it's time for the Walter Mittys of the world to create...traintackker

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so here is what one looks like

doesn't look to hard to make if you have the right tools. this guy was selling his for $210 if he still has it at the end of next week i might buy it but i really doubt he still has it.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
They guy who makes them will supposedly make a batch of them if you can get 4 of them sold. I think there was a thread on rs25.com looking for people interested in getting one made, you might do some digging and see if you can find more info.

--Josh

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited Sedan
97 Posts
been thinking about this idea for a looonnggg time. Theres an intake manufacturer called Weapon-r. They make a pretty sweet intake called the "secret weapon". It's a dual chambered intake, large pipe on the outside, small pipe on this inside. This actually causes the air on the inside pipe to move faster due to pressure (simple fluid dynamics). The intake is available on tons of websites for an average of about 200, but you can find it for as low as 150. Remember when searching for parts for your OB, look for parts of the same year legacy. All the parts are interchangeable, and i mean all.

Now to the good stuff. The secret weapon intake, from most sites, comes with a "ram air kit". This kit includes a good amount of pvc/plastic duct tubing that attaches to the front of the intakes air filter. If you order a hood scoop (the first one on this link actually looks like its a good size, not obnoxiously large but not small enough to be ineffective http://tinyurl.com/yen6467). Now if you wanted to, you could even take a small plastic box, and mount it underneath the scoop. Cutting a hole in the box with a jigsaw you can then attach the ram air hose onto said box (with the use of some caulk of course).

I've been thinking about this and drawing up specs for a long time, and in my engineering opinion, it should work.

I've been waiting to get the car painted to add the scoop, but it should be happening this summer.

Here's a link for the intake, http://www.racinglab.com/weapon-r-intake-sc-subaru-legacy-011.html

Happy modding!

·
Registered
'98 Legacy Outback 2.5, all stock
4 Posts
scoobietwo said:
been thinking about this idea for a looonnggg time. Theres an intake manufacturer called Weapon-r. They make a pretty sweet intake called the "secret weapon". It's a dual chambered intake, large pipe on the outside, small pipe on this inside. This actually causes the air on the inside pipe to move faster due to pressure (simple fluid dynamics). The intake is available on tons of websites for an average of about 200, but you can find it for as low as 150. Remember when searching for parts for your OB, look for parts of the same year legacy. All the parts are interchangeable, and i mean all.

Now to the good stuff. The secret weapon intake, from most sites, comes with a "ram air kit". This kit includes a good amount of pvc/plastic duct tubing that attaches to the front of the intakes air filter. If you order a hood scoop (the first one on this link actually looks like its a good size, not obnoxiously large but not small enough to be ineffective http://tinyurl.com/yen6467). Now if you wanted to, you could even take a small plastic box, and mount it underneath the scoop. Cutting a hole in the box with a jigsaw you can then attach the ram air hose onto said box (with the use of some caulk of course).

I've been thinking about this and drawing up specs for a long time, and in my engineering opinion, it should work.

I've been waiting to get the car painted to add the scoop, but it should be happening this summer.

Here's a link for the intake, http://www.racinglab.com/weapon-r-intake-sc-subaru-legacy-011.html

Happy modding!
Great post, very helpful. I was already fairly sure that engine parts in the OBW would be pretty much a direct swap from a same-year Legacy, but you just cleared it up for me. Those links are great too, think I might have to save up for one of those "Secret Weapons."

·
Registered
97 Posts
well looks like you already have a scoop! I didn't notice when i was typing up the last post that you drove the ob with the scoop. Obviously i do not, since i provided a link for one. When finals are over (next week) I will be fashioning a "scoop" of the same dimensions on the link to see how it looks. I have also been thinking about using the stock air intake on my car (it has the intake leading to the front of the vehicle just behind the grill, not sure if your year has this). At the end of the intake there is somewhat of a ram-air piece of plastic that is about 12" wide and feeds air into the tubing. I figured i may be able to rig this to sit in/under the new scoop and then fashion it so i can directly attach the tubing for the ram-air kit for the secret weapon to this. Once i order a spoiler and the scoop i'll be heading over to Maaco to get some quotes, then off to paint. I'm not sure when i'll be getting the intake but it will also be sometime this summer (paint is within the next month-i hope XD). Let me know if you purchase your intake before me!

--OH! by the way, racinglab has 5% off secret weapons with the ram air kit, not sure how long this is gonna last, but i figured i'd let you know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
well the subie is getting painted as soon as i finish the prep. Ordering the oem spoiler, and doing some body work. I've decided against the scoop since, well i really do not know how to install it. plus the car will look cleaner without it. I think once i get the SWI, i'll just route the ram-air to the front grill, or the middle of the bumper. Any suggestions on a color??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts