Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i told the dealer, i wish i was still driving my 2006 impreza wagon. it never disappointed me like my 2018 outback touring has done and continues to do so. bought it on 2 jan, 2018, and if i could have returned it on 12 jan, 2018 i would have.

several times prior to the 12 jan date the car has started to slide off my driveway while making a gentle turn at less than 15 mph. never experienced problems like that with my impreza and i drove my driveway for 11 years in the same conditions in the impreza. i now put the car in x-mode, 1st gear manual to descend my driveway. what a way to drive. concerned, in a car with so many safety? features.

once while taking off from a streetlight and needing to turn the car started going towards the ditch. and i am not practicing for 1/4 miles drag racing.

and on the decisive 12 jan day i am turning off a main road to a secondary road, once again 10-15 mph, if that fast, and the car slides toward the ditch. in all instances i released the gas pedal or applied braking to slow or stop my motion. never once went into the ditch but every time concerned i might.

but this is not why i want to return the car. how about, while driving in a freezing rain storm with the temp near 20 degrees and unable to keep the front window, passenger side from being covered with ice. and why would that be you might ask. maybe because subaru thought one would be more thrilled listening to music as opposed to being able to see out the window. subaru had to put a speaker directly next to the front window instead of extending the defrost opening thus leaving about an 8-10 inch window area without direct heat, thus allowing ice to easily form beneath the wiper which means the wiper can not remove the freezing rain from the windshield, allowing that side of the windshield to be ice covered.

as distressed with this lack of non-service as i was, i guess my eyesight system was even more distressed. possibly fearing for it existence and not wishing to see its demise, it shut down. not being able to see through the ice it didn't know what else to do. very reassuring to know that the built in safety systems fail
when needed in adverse conditions. and this freezing window event happened while in the full defrost mode only.

we all know the purpose of a mirror is to reflect and my drive side outside mirror is reflecting too well. if you drive the vehicle on an overcast day and wish to use said mirror you will see placed in the middle of this mirror an imposing white line which does a great job of distracting you from viewing what else might be seen in the mirror, like the car that is behind you.

this white line comes from the chrome colored trim that is placed around the vent in the driver side dash. overcast days and white lines will never go away. does anybody know, should i paint this piece of plastic or just put a sloppy piece of black tape over it and hope it hides this distraction? i can always take the tape off when i sell the car. it would probably be more difficult to remove the paint.

recently read an article alluding to the lack of quality control at both nissan and subaru. maybe i should have paid it closer attention.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
If I may ask... What kind of tires came with the car? I specifically asked for proper winter rated ( Brigestone Blizzak ) tires installed before delivery. My insurance company actually asked if the car was being delivered with the winter tires in order to get a discount.

WRT Ice on window. I guess I'll find out about that soon enough; I live in the freezing-rain capital of the world. :frown2:

Edit: I just had a look-see. The vent seems to be equally balanced between the driver and passenger side; the speakers are at both ends of the dash. I don't know why more hot air would come out the driver side, but I would be taking the car to the dealer to have them look for possibly a blockage of some kind.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Ltd Outback (Tungsten)
835 Posts
You have not said much about the driving conditions that you are talking about. Is your driveway and the road covered with snow and ice, or is it clear? My 2016 Ltd came with Bridgestone Duelers, an OEM tire many like to complain about, but I have none of the issues you are describing (and I live in a hilly place, Blacksburg, VA, that gets snow and ice).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe your in dual zone climate control?

I upgraded from an 04 Forester XT, and I've honestly noticed a huge increase in snowy/icy conditions. Most noticeably on the highway where changing lanes where you have to drive over the hump of snow isn't sketchy anymore, the Outback is way more stable.

And I've never noticed this white line reflecting either...

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
432 Posts
Your traction issue is tire related. It has nothing to do with the vehicle. Put the same tires on different cars and they will all grip the surface similarly.

Save yourself some heartburn and get some winter only tires installed.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
as i told the dealer, i wish i was still driving my 2006 impreza wagon.
So sell the OB and go buy another '06 Impreza. I don't see a problem.

Reactions: King Tut

·
Registered
2018 Outaback 2.5i Limited with eyesight.
90 Posts
Two weeks after purchasing our OB my car slid all the way down my unpaved road/hill (no one was injured). There were a few inches of snow on the ground and some ice underneath the snow. There was no stopping the car and when it reached the bottom of the hill it went over some rocks and into a ditch. $6400.00 worth of damage to a brand new car which was purchased because of where we lived.

I blame the road conditions and the tires and partly myself even though it was humanly impossible to go any slower that day. IMO the tires that come stock on the OB are far from adequate for extreme conditions such as snow and ice covered roads. Throw a steep hill into the equation and it's a recipe for disaster. I don't think the OP's issues are with an insufficient AWD system or lack of driving ability. It's the tires!

You bought a very expensive car. Go spend another $800.00 and get some good winter tires and you'll realize just how good the OB is in the snow and on ice.

I don't think calling the OP a troll is acceptable, I think the OP is a person who's frustrated and disappointed with his purchase and he's sharing his reasons why. Someone looking for info on the OB's ability to handle different driving conditions can be helped by reading his post. I wish it was posted before I attempted to go down my hill the day we had our accident.

Try some better tires OP and report back.

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
220 Posts
Ice seems to be a problem for the OP. It appears the SHIFT key on his keyboard froze up similarly to the passenger window.

Reactions: mowcowbell

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
175 Posts
Two questions...
1) Was a test drive before the purchase ever done?
2) Did YOU tell the salesperson what you wanted or did THEY tell you what you wanted?

Two observations...
1) Car companies sell cars with generic setups that aid in their sales volume.
2) Car companies have contracts with parts suppliers for volume sales (refer to point #1)

Two opinions...
1) It is imperative that buyers read the build sheets prior to signing on the dotted line.
2) Forum members are global. If one asks nicely, I am sure that they will provide information on their experiences to assist.

Two cents...

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The OP is a clear troll post. Here's how to tell:

1) the '06 impreza was one of the most unreliable subarus ever built (I have one)

2) any car slips on ice. combine ice and a downward grade and I don't care what you drive, you will slip (my 06 impreza with winter tires slips on flat grade shear ice)

3) the OP gives up so quick on his car--he doesn't question whether it could be due to the OEM tires (or just plain slippery ice)

4) the vent controversy--the OP claims the vents are improperly made, if this was the case we would hear a vast number of complaints, especially from northern and Canadian drivers (the OB is a popular car in Canada)

5) sideview mirror reflection--guess what? mirrors are suppose to reflect. Change the angle. Does the image actually impede seeing a vehicle? I think likely not

·
Registered
2018 Outaback 2.5i Limited with eyesight.
90 Posts
Maybe, or he's just hard to please and had really high unrealistic expectations for his OB.

I live in a cold icey environment and I haven't noticed the icing issues with the defroster he described. Haven't noticed the line in the mirror either but I'm going to look for it now that it was mentioned.

I agree that it sounds like he's giving up on the car way to easy. Not sure why a person would spend this much money on a car and not just throw some better tires on it so he can get some traction.

It would be nice if the OP would report back with some more info.

If the OP had made an introduction post would the OP still be considered a troll? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
I just saw that line in the mirror for the first time ever.
Thanks a pile.
Same here. Gotta stop reading this forum.

But actually, it's the window, not the mirror (see Flwhite's photos, or roll down your window if it isn't 10F outside). Blacking out the trim is a proposed fix for the CX-5 (https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847930-A-C-Vent-Trim-Removal). Popping out the trim piece on the OB doesn't look to be too difficult, if one is so inclined to wrap or plastidip.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5i
48 Posts

1) the '06 impreza was one of the most unreliable subarus ever built (I have one)

2) any car slips on ice. combine ice and a downward grade and I don't care what you drive, you will slip (my 06 impreza with winter tires slips on flat grade shear ice)

3) the OP gives up so quick on his car--he doesn't question whether it could be due to the OEM tires (or just plain slippery ice)

4) the vent controversy--the OP claims the vents are improperly made, if this was the case we would hear a vast number of complaints, especially from northern and Canadian drivers (the OB is a popular car in Canada)

5) sideview mirror reflection--guess what? mirrors are suppose to reflect. Change the angle. Does the image actually impede seeing a vehicle? I think likely not
Agreed, it sounds like an auto salesman that lost too many sales to Subaru.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts

1) He liked his, maybe not everyone who owned one shares your opinion of them.
2) His reference to ice was related to his windshield, not to the surface he drove on.
3) ??????
4) He may have a factory problem with the vent on the passenger side and got the brush off from dealer service department.
5) What he is seeing is reflection on the side window, as is evident in the pictures I posted and two other posters have seen. Impede? Depends. But at times it is a PITA. What's worse is the reflection off the HU.

I haven't a problem with the tires yet, but it's only been seven months.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
Except no way I'm driving my brand new '18 Outback in freezing rain, eh?

I don't know if the OP was trolling; I hope not. Why join a discussion forum, post one rant, then go quiet? I would like to see them come back and better explain the slipping situation w.r.t. tires and road surface condition.

I have a circular driveway, and once "drove" one of my older Subbies right off the pavement and into a tree. Even AWD and winter rated tires don't mean squat on water covered ice. I didn't blame the car; I blamed just the faulty component behind the steering wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts