2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Blackhollow16
Join: 9 minutes ago

5 minutes ago · #1
Horn beeping
I have a 2019 Outback and I have had problems with the horn beeping intermittently for no reason. It's definitely a horn beep and sometimes it'll be three to four times when I start the engine at other times it just beeps once or twice when I'm driving no clue why. I mentioned it to the dealer but they said they really couldn't do anything unless it happened when they were driving it. Just wondered if anybody else has had this problem.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,669 Posts
It's probably a defective horn relay or horn switch, since the car is so new - it wouldn't likely be wiring this early in the game. Given you're under warranty and it's a pretty easy procedure to swap out these two parts, I consider their response kind of lame. Maybe try a different dealer, and start documenting when you've requested it be fixed.

And- welcome to the forum! now please fill out your profile......

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's probably a defective horn relay or horn switch, since the car is so new - it wouldn't likely be wiring this early in the game. Given you're under warranty and it's a pretty easy procedure to swap out these two parts, I consider their response kind of lame. Maybe try a different dealer, and start documenting when you've requested it be fixed.

And- welcome to the forum! now please fill out your profile......
I have a 2019 Outback with exactly the same issue. Typically, I'll get 4 chirps right after startup. On one occasion I got, I think, 2 chirps while driving down the road. There is no set pattern to when it will happen. The last time was 4 days ago - the next time might be tomorrow or 2 weeks from now. I did have an OEM remote start installed by Subaru, but have no idea if that is relevant or not. Dealer had it yesterday and said they couldn't replicate the issue, so no help there. They said no TSBs, no current or historical ECM codes and that they had never heard of this. The post by Blackhollow16 is the first mention I've been able to find on the net.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,994 Posts
Yeah, this is an unusual one, and no follow up from the OP unfortunately. Guess your only recourse would be to try another dealer or get SoA involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, this is an unusual one, and no follow up from the OP unfortunately. Guess your only recourse would be to try another dealer or get SoA involved.
I think SoA is probably my best bet. If anyone else has experienced this, feel free to chime in. The OP gives me hope that this is not unique to my vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think SoA is probably my best bet. If anyone else has experienced this, feel free to chime in. The OP gives me hope that this is not unique to my vehicle.
I spoke to SoA and they didn't have a solution, but they were willing to seriously consider the issue. At this point, unless it occurs while attached to diagnostic equipment, I don't have much hope for a resolution. I will be trying different things myself, such as not carrying the remote start fob in the summer to see if that has any effect. Will post if I have further information.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,994 Posts
Another thing that might help is if you can get a video of it happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed. I don't see much diagnostic value in a video, but to be able to prove it's actually happening would be very useful. I have watched the dash during several of these events and there are no unusual lights going on or other visual oddities. I think the video would show normal dash operation, but you'd hear the chirping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did capture the issue on video this morning and also noticed that the headlight indicator dash lamp flashes in unison with the chirping. So, apparently there is diagnostic value in the video. Hopefully SoA will be able to make something of this. I cannot upload the file here due to its size. If I get a resolution, I will post it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One last piece of info. I did message the OP and he said that while they never really solved his issue, they did believe it was related to the Subaru OEM remote start. He had his removed and the problem went away. Tried to call SoA today and their offices are closed. Not sure why, but will keep trying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts