Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 OB, MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Outback 4cyl manual
Stock everything

I turn and get CRAZY understeer in light rain or more..
My brakes are bad and vibrate when depressed,also..
And witg myfirst snow inthis car, they lock up with ease..

I want slotted and drill, or at LEAST slotted rotors, I don't care about brke dust/excessive wear, I haven't had any problems with my old car with these rotors.. I like them a lot..

I was told to put larger rotorss on the front at least, I forget what model of car.. but would it be possible to get slotted larger rotors? And is there any brake calipers that have. Better braking force that is relatively inexpensive?

And now for the wheels, I don't mind getting bigger(or smaller) wheels all around, I just want good turning in all conditins, I'm frequenttly on dirt, and I live in a pretty snowy-icey area with rain throughout the year..
Any recommendations for my car/area that isn't an arm leg and an ear?
Again, turning even with foggy/drizzle conditions, I undeesteered into a curb at ~15mph D-':

Thanks everyone for your help!! Peace to you!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
2000 Outback 4cyl manual
Stock everything

I turn and get CRAZY understeer in light rain or more..
My brakes are bad and vibrate when depressed,also..
And witg myfirst snow inthis car, they lock up with ease..

I want slotted and drill, or at LEAST slotted rotors, I don't care about brke dust/excessive wear, I haven't had any problems with my old car with these rotors.. I like them a lot..

I was told to put larger rotorss on the front at least, I forget what model of car.. but would it be possible to get slotted larger rotors? And is there any brake calipers that have. Better braking force that is relatively inexpensive?

And now for the wheels, I don't mind getting bigger(or smaller) wheels all around, I just want good turning in all conditins, I'm frequenttly on dirt, and I live in a pretty snowy-icey area with rain throughout the year..
Any recommendations for my car/area that isn't an arm leg and an ear?
Again, turning even with foggy/drizzle conditions, I undeesteered into a curb at ~15mph D-':

Thanks everyone for your help!! Peace to you!
#1 Old car
#2 worn out suspension gear
#3 lousy alignment
#4 lousy worn out tires

Fix all of those before you spend money on stuff that doesn't fix your issue like slotted rotors. LOL

Legacy GT brakes are a 1 to 1 swap and make a huge difference but won't matter as long as the tired old suspension stuff is still in play.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Outbacks got larger rotors halfway through the 2002 model year. Same caliper. I don't know if the bracket or hub (or both) changed to make it fit, hopefully someone else will chime in.

You might consider Legacy GT brakes. I researched them as an upgrade for my 06. I've never had a 2nd gen outback so I'm not sure if there is similar cross-compatibility to the 00-04 LGT parts.

Subie rotors are a bit thin for drilling, can lead to sudden premature cracking. I have a slotted set on mine now, and they're neat but I'll probably go back to smoothies when I'm done with this set.

A stiffer rear sway bar (and NOT a front one) will reduce understeer significantly.

Consider testing your car for torque bind- it is a type of AWD failure and it can contribute to loss of steering authority in slippery conditions.

Hope that gets you started.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
yep^

don't even think about spending money on upgrading brakes until you upgrade tires. The fact that they lock up sooner than you think they should tells us the tires are bad or at least a bad choice for your road/driving conditions.

that said, there are multiple thread here about brake upgrades but you are unliley to find anyone recommending slotted/drilled rotors except perhaps for dedicated racing. What pads are you using now?

·
Registered
2000 OB, MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have goo tires, like Texan said, they're just garbage..

Dunno if I would need to upgrade size, but I just need some better tires; snow tires, at least for the winter..
I will upgrade my suspension when I get my taxes. I had fully adjustable Eibachs on my 7 a few years back, handling is my main concern... any suggestions?

I wil look for the brake conversions, till then, I suppose, any tire recommendations* I may be able to buy locally? Then I could have them balanced if needed(which I shouldn't..)
And then get my alignment checked out..

I need rotors now,anyways, so it is a "might as well" thing to do. Call me stupid, call it overkill, Its just ky prefrence.. just like fuzzy dice in the mirror..

Thanks, all. :)

@Rasterman, ,where would I go to diagnose if I have "torque bind"? Just. Authorized Subaru dealership? Thank you, sir.

·
Registered
2000 OB, MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS: what is an "suspension gear"?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
From what I remember, what you need to change from 02 to 03 brake sizes is the Caliper Bracket, Rotors, Pads and 16" rims. You can get WRX 16" rims for cheep on Craigslist.

The standard rotors (no slots/ holes) have more surface area for the brake pad to come in contact with, therefor they have a higher friction rate. If you were running some crazy pads that has gassing issues, then they are not useable on the street due to the needed operating temperatures.

Brake vibrations can also be caused by worn out suspension bushings/ compotes that allow the move more then designed. A good example is a worn out/loose inner tie rod. The additional in and out movement can provide feed back similar to brake vibrations.
Also, rotors very rarely are "warped", something else causes the feeling of warped rotors.

If you are good at turning a wrench, rockauto.com has great prices and you can usualy find a 5% "promo" code online.

I would suggest,
1 new tires
2 inspecting your suspension
3 repair the suspension, and alignment

Then if needed new brakes. A simple COMPLETE fluid flush on a 13 year old car will do wonders for braking performance.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
You have no need to change the size of your tires... stock 225/60R16 H rated is best. If you are living in an area that gets a lot of snow I would highly suggest a set of proper snow tires for the winter and get different tires for summer. And DEFINITELY get them balanced. This car isn't a RWD car from 1978.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Sounds like you need tires. Upgrade brakes and your car will perform exactly the same, I've actually seen and done it before. Poor rubber compounds, dry, old, aged, tires perform terrible in wet conditions.

New tires are going to help a lot and the brakes will lock up and stop just fine. Everyone on here with stock brakes is stopping just fine in the rain.

Once everything is in proper order your current brakes or slightly larger are both going to lock up the brakes, trigger the ABS, and stop the car in the same amount of time. Won't gain much with brakes.

I suppose suspension gear he is referring to struts, bushings, linkages.

·
Registered
2000 OB, MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you need tires. Upgrade brakes and your car will perform exactly the same, I've actually seen and done it before. Poor rubber compounds, dry, old, aged, tires perform terrible in wet conditions.

New tires are going to help a lot and the brakes will lock up and stop just fine. Everyone on here with stock brakes is stopping just fine in the rain.

Once everything is in proper order your current brakes or slightly larger are both going to lock up the brakes, trigger the ABS, and stop the car in the same amount of time. Won't gain much with brakes.
When I apply my brakes, and start sliding, I hear a funny sound I've never heard before.. kind of like a struggling pump, or something.. from the front of the vehicle, I cannot tell if its the brakes or inside the engine bay..

Does anyone know what it could be..?
I definitely need to get my alignment done, freeway driving is like a shaking rollercoaster on my steeringwheel..

I hope my stock rims are fine, don't plan on upgrading/styling them for a while..

Again, any recommended brand of snow tires? My tires are good, plenty of tread, not cracked, but I know I need snow tires..

Thanks again, all.

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
you may be describing normal ABS function.

do you hear and feel pulses? or is the steering wheel vibrating back and forth? (you may have 2-3 overlapping problems.)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
funny sound - ABS activating?
you can pull the ABS fuse and see if it goes away - that would verify that it is the ABS making the noise. then your brakes simply function as regular non-ABS brakes.

braking can improve if you disable the ABS when you have tires that aren't very good in the wet/snow.

most snow tires are decent. better to pay attention to care than brand (like not driving them when it's warm out...like 50+). Nokian's are top of the line and Bridgestone Blizzacks' are well respected lower price option. Others are good too, cheaper brands tend to loose their stickiness quicker. You can get 5 years out of Nokians (depending on temps, mileage, etc), but you'd have a significant reduction in performance from other brands by years 3, 4, and 5. you can read reviews online, tire rack, etc...places that have reviews.

·
Registered
2000 OB, MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ill try that; pull the fuse..
we'll see if the noise contiues, and also if it is better breaking..

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Silly question, with snow tires, is it bad to drive freeway road trips if its 20F and no snow/ice on the road...?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Ill try that; pull the fuse..
we'll see if the noise contiues, and also if it is better breaking..
when i say "better braking", don't expect much. with really bad tires on an incline the braking with ABS can be so bad that the car actually will ***not*** come to a stop on it's own. you have to pull the hand brake...that's if the rubber in the tires is awful (regardless of tread depth). by "better braking" i mean you can go from not being able to stop to being able to stop but it's still ugly and unsafe with bad tires. bad tires just confuse the ABS, you can find multiple threads of folks up in arms about ABS and this issue due to bad tires.

Silly question, with snow tires, is it bad to drive freeway road trips if its 20F and no snow/ice on the road...?
no. somewhere around 50 degrees i've heard thrown around, the less warm temps you drive in the better. it just wears them down quicker. the tires are made of a softer compound and wear/degrade quicker if you run them in warm temps.

even studded tires can be driven on the road, check with state laws, some have dates when you can and can't use them.

·
Registered
2000 OB, MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not expecting much... just at least see if its the abs, wwhich sounds like it is, from you all..

Is it a bad thing,if it makes noises?

Ill be looking into new tires this upcoming week, most places are closed on the first day of the week, so I couldn't do much today..

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
it isn't 'bad' really - doing it's job.

if you hear it a lot, you're driving too fast for road conditions and/or your tires are shot.

everyone should 'safely' experiment with their ABS on a wet or icy, empty, parking lot or wet skidpad. It's odd if you aren't accustomed to it.

and you must re-train yourself from 'pumping' the brakes.

Stomp, Stay and Steer - that's what they want you to learn to do with ABS.

and yes, many people have argued whether they are useful under different conditions. They probably extend braking distance in loose gravel or sand for instance.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
it is fine to just pull the fuse or relay and run without ABS.

it's hard to say without seeing it what is going on. it may be the ABS is fine. i have personally driven a car with poor tires and it freaks the ABS out and you can't control the car (but i live in the mountains, so i'm talking steep down grades). installed new tires and the ABS performed flawlessly. and i've seen this on tires that appeared new...like 75% tread or better. I can only surmise that the rubber can degrade...sitting in the sun or bad batch, i don't know, but it happens.

The ABS flips out - it'll keep activating and the terrible grip of the tires just confuses the ABS since they can't adequately grip in the wet/snow. Anyway, i'm no tire expert or know what happens but it makes the ABS all sorts of wonky.

Having seen it - Without driving the car ourselves i think it's hard to just guess if it's the tires or the ABS actually acting weird.

·
Registered
2000 OB, MT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I need snow tires...

Slid off the road, had NO chance of avoiding it.. turned from gravel road onto dirty ice, and the rest is a bad memory...

:S

1 - 20 of 20 Posts