Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the right front wheel hub to address a grinding noise that I assumed was a failing wheel bearing. Grinding noise went away. Good.
Then tonight I had a loud metal on metal screeching noise that sounded like it was coming from that same corner. Pulled the wheel looking for a dragging splash shield or brake hardware, but found nothing.
As I was retorquing the wheels, the car rocked and I heard the screech. Crawled under the car trying to pinpoint the source, and it seems to be coming from the transmission or center diff.
At this point I'm ready to call the roll back and just have it taken to the dealer, but if anyone can offer a diagnosis based on this limited information, fire away.
I considered draining the diff and transmission to look for carnage, but a repair of either would be beyond what I'm willing to undertake myself these days.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Car is on it's way to the dealer.
Roll back driver's opinion is that the wheel hub is making the racket.
Hope he's right.
That would be a big relief, but also really frustrating. Installed a Timken hub (made in S Korea) thinking that I'd be insured better quality. Doing that job twice, paying the dealer to do it a second time is way less expensive than a new CVT though.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
299 Posts
Good luck. Keep us informed, I'm anxious to find out what it is. I might have the same problem some day.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got some clarification from the wife. The roll back driver opined that is was the LF bearing.
I'm afraid that is so difficult to pinpoint because it's actually coming from the center of the car, and it just depends on where you happen to be standing.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
Reactions: ruby2012

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its is trans related:

you still got this for another week of unlimited miles if you are past 100,000 already.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum.../429481-cvt-warranty-extension-2010-15-a.html
Well that would be convenient.
It's a 2012 that just turned 120k.
We've got a weekend getaway planned for Gatlinburg next weekend.
The looming potential repair expense has me contemplating cancelling the trip.
We made the same trip last year in this car. It performed like a champ.
Rented a car for a recent trip to Florida because I hadn't gotten around to addressing the wheel bearing at that point. With a brother that works for Enterprise, I can rent quite cheaply, but free is better.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
Well that would be convenient.
It's a 2012 that just turned 120k.
We've got a weekend getaway planned for Gatlinburg next weekend.
The looming potential repair expense has me contemplating cancelling the trip.
We made the same trip last year in this car. It performed like a champ.
Rented a car for a recent trip to Florida because I hadn't gotten around to addressing the wheel bearing at that point. With a brother that works for Enterprise, I can rent quite cheaply, but free is better.

you could tell the dealer it died on you while coming to a stop at a stop sign,.. and make sure they or the subaru 800# logs that as a complaint before july 31.

such may get you a free fix on a trans isssue now, or in the future.

_______

I wonder what factory reman CVTs will cost after august 1st, for 2010-15 cars,.
...and if these will start to propagate pick and pulls, as the fix is just too much on the high miles ones.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder what factory reman CVTs will cost after august 1st, for 2010-15 cars,.
...and if these will start to propagate pick and pulls, as the fix is just too much on the high miles ones.
Yeah. A $6000 transmission (+labor) for a 120K mile car that books for about 10 grand doesn't make good fiscal sense. Hopefully the warranty takes care of me. This is a car we had no intention of replacing any time soon.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
120 Posts
you could tell the dealer it died on you while coming to a stop at a stop sign,.. and make sure they or the subaru 800# logs that as a complaint before july 31.

such may get you a free fix on a trans isssue now, or in the future.

_______

Second time in a week I've seen people counseled to lie on this forum. I find that a bit disturbing on a forum of this quality.

I doubt that I am the only on on here who would refuse to sell my integreity for any amount of money.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brake pad shim!!!!

Son of a....

Pulled the caliper off several times looking for this very issue. Looked fine. No evidence of anything dragging. Checked the shims, slides, and splash shield. And I missed it still.

Fortunately, only a small dent to my wallet and a slightly bigger one to my pride.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
That would explain why the typical forum peeps that are often spot on for causes were mystified. LOL I figured he did a wheel bearing him self so its got to be something more complex ha ha. Have a good trip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts