Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 3.0R Outback 5EAT SI-Drive, Push Start JDM 130k km
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hadn't noticed before there's a really hot metal pipe next to the drivers left foot rest (right hand drive 2007 Outback). The pipe is behind a white plastic cover - please see the photo below.

On a short drive we had the A/C turned off with the windows wide open but I could easily feel warmth from this pipe. Is this related to normal A/C operation? The engine is not overheating and the only recent maintenance activity was to replace the radiator. The weather today was around 27C.

Please ignore the strange glow from the foam in the background, just the camera lighting :)

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,867 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the heater duct that is behind the knee bolster. I believe the pipe in that area is the instrument panel support.

There is also a heater duct that runs under the center console and the front seats to blow to the back seats.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon Limited 4EAT
179 Posts
It's one of the coolant lines going to the heater core. Yes it's normal for it to be hot all the time.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I didn't think the heater pipe was that close to the center hump. But then again, I haven't had one of this generation apart in some years.
In our LHDs, the tubing to the heater core is on the left side of the core. But the tubes aren't at the top and bottom. It appears as if they bend upwards so that in the LHD configuration they're somewhat higher.

However, in the RHD, it appears the same or similar core is used, but flipped over, with the pipes on the right side. That puts the offset tubes lower and closer to the transmission hump, or so it appears in the diagrams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts