1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks I just saw this over at SubDriven.com today:

Subaru Super Legacy

(12 Feb 04)

Subaru will introduce a Spec B concept version of the highly regarded Legacy 3.0R saloon at next month’s Geneva Show. It’s described variously as "purely a prototype" and "a teaser", but if enough people start hammering on the doors, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t go into production.

That’s because all the modifications to the standard specification are available either from elsewhere in the Subaru parts bin or from outside suppliers.

The 241bhp flat-six engine is carried over from the showroom version, but while that car comes only with automatic transmission, the Spec B uses a six-speed manual gearbox transferred from the Impreza STi.

In standard form, the four-wheel drive Legacy is one of the finest-handling saloons on the market. The Spec B comes with larger 18" wheels and 215/45 R tyres, rally-style Bilstein suspension front and rear, and a torque-sensing rear differential

Subaru’s Geneva display will also feature the B9 Scrambler sports car and the R1e 2+2 "urban runabout", but we won’t be surprised if they rather fade into the background compared with the almost production-ready Spec B.
Here's the original story from CarKeys.co.uk

So Subaru has FINALLY mated a manual transmission (let alone a STi 6-speed) with an H6-3.0. This is great news, although this car is only a prototype it still shows that Subaru can do it and that hopefully they will expand this option throughout their entire line. Now just think about getting a Legacy 3.0R or an Outback 3.0R with a 6-speed manual, finally Subaru has made my wish come true!!! Curses, they did this at the same time the came out with the Outback XT!!! Wait though, they could put the 6MT in the OBXT, that wouldn't be half bad. They've already done it with the STi on the same basic engine. Friggin' Subaru, yer gonna make my head explode if you don't stop coming out with all these cool things that I want but can't decide on :mad: :D

Hmmm... now I wonder it you can retrofit that 6MT to a 2nd Gen OB with an H6-3.0 :confused:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would take the H6/MT combo over the 2.5T/MT. I'm already on the fence between the XT and the LLBean. Now I wonder if I should wait until '06 to see if they offer the H6/manual. :confused:

·
Administrator
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
injektilo said:
I would take the H6/MT combo over the 2.5T/MT. I'm already on the fence between the XT and the LLBean. Now I wonder if I should wait until '06 to see if they offer the H6/manual. :confused:
That is the one thing for me, I can almost guarantee that they won't put the H6/6MT combo in for 2005. Maybee, just maybee it could be a mid-year option although I think were gonna have to wait until at least MY2006 until we see it in the U.S.

Honestly I don't know what I'd take between the OBXT and the H6/MT OB. I'd really like an XT with a 6MT, but thats probably a pipe dream for now. That being said though, if Subaru starts using the STi 6MT in more of its cars it will cost less for them to but the unit and hencforth they can outfit most of their line with it and just leave the 5MT for the basic models. Only time will tell :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
6MT tranny is great, but they gotta do something with the clutch design...Need softer pedals, and smoother downshifting...at least on the Impreza...

My $0.02

tbert:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wonder if a 3.0 would bolt into my '90 sedan? SWEEEEETT!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Losiho
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing