Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, long time stalker first time poster....Anyway just wanted to share a story and get some ideas..I have a 2014 Outback Limited 2.5

So I live in Northwest Houston where we got 49 inches of rain from Harvey. My family and I are fine and have been doing a lot of volunteer work since. A part of which I spent the better part of the days Fri, Sat, Sunday driving ponded roads but never more than curb (6-8") deep.

Probably almost predictable to some my dash lit up like a Christmas tree on Sunday night. I pulled the code and had 1449. I showed up at the dealer early Tuesday (monday holiday) and was told i had water in my evap canister.

I'm not mad, I knew the risk. I saved a lot more "things" and people than the $497 the dealer is quoting to replace the canister and drain/ refill the differentials. I have done a lot of off roading and back road driving in my life. I drove slow and kept the water moving, I never went deep.

So my question/ comment, is there anything we can do to protect the canister? It seems to me that the water damage height should be a bit higher than the clearance height and what "splashing" it took shouldn't have crippled it.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Sounds like a issue of you putting gas in it htat had water.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Keep in mind the differential vents are about 6" higher than the centers of the wheels. They won't have waterproofed anything higher than that point.

bheinen74 has a point- this might not have been you splashing, it might well have been water in fuel you purchased.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,449 Posts
btw, where is the evap canister on the 4thGen? apparently, it is located kinda low but I don't recall seeing it when I was installing the tow hitch. Maybe I just forgot.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. Thanks for helping others. They say no good deed goes unpunished.

All in all I guess it could be worse. The 500k flooded cars that are written off by insurance companies will sadly be appearing on craigslist in the next few months with great prices but the flood part will not be mentioned bu unscrupulous sellers

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
btw, where is the evap canister on the 4thGen? apparently, it is located kinda low but I don't recall seeing it when I was installing the tow hitch. Maybe I just forgot.
I was curious too. Checked my FSM and it seems to be in the rear wheel well drivers side. The diagram clearly shows a cartoon diagram of the location, schematics have it near the rear shock absorber. I'm going to have to check that out later tonight.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
on my MIL's Forester, the actual orifice thru which fresh air goes in or vaporous air comes out is lower than the the canister itself. It may actually be near the same height from the ground as the diff's vent.

I can def. see a probability of water getting sucked in under the right conditions.

it may also be important to remember that , if the tips of the radiator fans get into water, they might be forced forward and could damage the radiator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I asked the service adviser where the canister was he said "in the well behind the tire" to which i said so every time i drive through a puddle I train water at it? I was told, it is a possibility. I got the impression from the dealer that this isn't all that uncommon, which is why I am interested in finding a way to better protect or relocate it.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
snorkels are used in several places for vehicles that need to ford high water. Jeeps I think get these mods a lot.

probably some folks here have experience with it, or check also at ultimatesubaru.org

I dunno what model or year this diagram is from, the design on a 2014 may be more complex but, the item 9 in the drawing is where water is most likely to be ingested i think. Relocating that opening further from the ground would be helpful.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,684 Posts
When I asked the service adviser where the canister was he said "in the well behind the tire" to which i said so every time i drive through a puddle I train water at it? I was told, it is a possibility. I got the impression from the dealer that this isn't all that uncommon, which is why I am interested in finding a way to better protect or relocate it.
...so...my question is this...why stick a snorkel on a vehicle if the you will still run into this problem. Wouldn't you really have to modify all this stuff in order to get it above the high water line?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the correct answer seems to be....Diesel. Yup. After a lot of back and forth with the dealer they took a look in the tank and found a diesel/ gas mix. The canister seems to be at best coincidental.

Now how do I get the last gas station to pick up the bill? They already claim I can't prove it since i only took on 6 gallons there. "How do they know it wasn't already in there" since I only took a partial tank....oye

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
sometimes a local "consumer advocate reporter" can help resolve stuff like this.

or, some community 'blog' or twitter account can find other victims of the mixed fuel issue.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
And the correct answer seems to be....Diesel. Yup. After a lot of back and forth with the dealer they took a look in the tank and found a diesel/ gas mix. The canister seems to be at best coincidental.

Now how do I get the last gas station to pick up the bill? They already claim I can't prove it since i only took on 6 gallons there. "How do they know it wasn't already in there" since I only took a partial tank....oye
And the station has a valid point. How do they know you didn't use the wrong pump and cause the issue?

As 1 Lucky Texan said, unless you can find others that experienced the same issue, it will just be a lot of wasted time and finger pointing.

LITS, life is too short.....

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
The nozzle on diesel pumps is supposed to be larger so that it cannot fit into the filler pipe on a vehicle tank designed for gasoline.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
The nozzle on diesel pumps is supposed to be larger so that it cannot fit into the filler pipe on a vehicle tank designed for gasoline.
but if the fuel was contaminated in the delivery truck - or the driver filled the wrong storage tank with diesel.......

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,449 Posts
As 1 Lucky Texan said, unless you can find others that experienced the same issue, it will just be a lot of wasted time and finger pointing.
On the NextDoor neighborhood app/forum, someone posted a local station had water in their diesel fuel which messed up their truck and many others chimed in with the same problem from the same local station. So it may be possible to find others suffering the same fate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts