Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Outback EJ25 SOHC AT non-turbo

I'm working towards a head gasket replacement, and need to remove my timing belt. Everything has been going well and I'm feeling confident about the job, the timing belt is the only step that I'm nervous about and that's why I'm asking for a double check of my timing marks alignment.

The passenger side cam and the crank seem to line up well, but my driver side cam looks a bit too far to the left of the mark. What do you think?

FYI A shop replaced the water pump and timing belt in early March.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Good. When the driver side cam turns on you after releasing belt tension, don't sweat it. The pistons are "down" on that side and all you need to do is turn the cam back to the mark and get it steady for the belt when you reassemble. Be sure to torque the heads back down proper. I hope you have a long breaker bar. The last two sets of turns are 90° and will require some torque.

·
Registered
2004 Outback
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good. When the driver side cam turns on you after releasing belt tension, don't sweat it. The pistons are "down" on that side and all you need to do is turn the cam back to the mark and get it steady for the belt when you reassemble. Be sure to torque the heads back down proper. I hope you have a long breaker bar. The last two sets of turns are 90° and will require some torque.
Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I've got bigger problems though. Pulled the heads and found some scoring on one of my cylinders. Guess I'm in the market for a reman engine now.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
:(

:banghead:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts