Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
They aren't too bad. I live in upstate NY and had them on for a bit at the start of last winter. About what you'd expect for an average all-season. They go just fine with AWD but turning and braking are iffy. That being said, I did buy a set of winter wheels and tires which I ran most of last winter. Of course it was one of the least snowy and warmest winters ever here so they didn't really get a workout. I guess it depends on what you are doing. I switched to a dedicated winter setup because I was regularly out and about for work early enough that the plows hadn't been by yet on most days. I also believe that the all-season tire is too much a compromise and prefer to have a dedicated winter setup to get all the benefits of braking and turning they provide.
Of course it is amazing what traction control and awd can do even with all-seasons.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I live in northeast Ohio and wondering if I need dedicated winters.
Personally I see 1/2 the people on here say they are fine (then I see they are from Texas or Florida) the other half say they are crap. As other posters on here have said they are fine depending on what you use them for. If drive on plowed roads and don't encounter much ice and most of your drive is flat, they should be just fine.

If you're like me and your area only plows if they think the snow will be around longer than a week, they only sand if they have no other choice and then immediately plow it off the road, and you have 7-10% grades just on your way to work like I do... get dedicated snows.

Me? I'm lazy. I just run these and was never happier.

By the way you are the 50th person or so to ask this but that's ok. :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
We made it through half of last winter on the contis, skiing every weekend, up to 8 inches of fresh snow, never got stuck, but it wasnt awesome, like our 05 OB with blizzaks.

This season were getting steelies with blizzaks, they're like a tractor driving on velcro.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've always run all seasons though our main roads and highways are always plowed so I've never dealt with much slippage. Getting out of my neighborhood has been challenging a few times but I've always managed by finessing the transmission. This is my first AWD vehicle so we'll see how we do in a few months when the snow shows up. I'll probably be pretty happy with the setup.

If I didn't telecommute I'd probably keep a set of Blizzaks handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
there4igraham
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing