Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I tried to have some fun with my VDC in the snow on an empty parking lot. Drifts were not going to happen.

These posts made me think about upgrading to a switchable VDC (if it can be done easily):

Putting a fuse in the FWD slot in the fusebox under the hood will NOT disable AWD, as in all other Subarus of this generation. It will only disable the VDC system electronics - stability and traction control - and (I believe) ABS.
The VDC programming doesn't disable the ABS. It only cancels the engine and transmission parameters that would help control engine torque and gearing in situations like skids and wheel spin. If you install the fuse in the FWD slot and cruise then slam on the brakes, you'll feel it. With the fuse in, full engine power and transmission torque is available all the time and AWD is retained. In this manner, the VDC model is superior to the other models in that it can truly go anywhere more effectively.
Well, you can temporarily kill VDC by the switch button. I don't know about USDM version, but in EuroSpec Outbacks it turns on again only if your speed exceeds 30 km/h (not sure about correct speed, i looks something like that). So you can get a fun in the snow at low speeds. Or you can take a fuse out to kill VDC permanently and enjoy your AWD in snow on full scale :)
I know some VDCs have a switch under the radio to disable the VDC. My Euro-spec 2000 H6 doesn't have that switch. Is there a good way to disable it? Where exactly is that fuse? Can it be made switchable? How is it done on Outbacks that came originally with that switch? Are there advantages or disadvantages that are not good for the car?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,783 Posts
As for the fuse location, see the pic. Circled in white. Ignore the black one.

For switching, and I haven't gotten around to doing this yet. (Today I am filling in my quarter panel where my subwoofer is mounted to try and make it sound better. I had poly fill in there. Using something else now. Waiting for it to cure.) You can use a suitable switch that you like, blends in, etc., and find a place to mount it.

There would be a couple ways you can do this. According to the wiring diagram, splice into pin 40 of the VDC module, see diagram attached, to ground via your switch. Or, tie into the battery power wire at the relay box under the hood using the switch as a double for the fuse. If you do it through the fuse box, you may want to put an inline 10 amp fuse in before the switch.

Now here's a kicker: The diagram for my 01 shows a VDC off switch that connects ground. If its in this car, I haven't seen or noticed it and I have had that center console and center dash out enough times with electrical work. Of course, I wasn't looking for it either. There may be a ground wire back there that leads to the VDC module's pin 40. It will be in the same area as your newer model's switch. Subaru was good about building one harness for all the models. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a pair of black wires with a plug on it just laying there or tied to the harness so its not just hanging.

Get Pics!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that is a solid answer! Thank you very much.

Yeah, I had the radio out quit a few times. There MIGHT be a cable that could be "missing" a switch. But I don't know for sure.

Do you know where exactly the VDC module is located?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had some fun in the snow on Saturday night. Putting a 10Amp fuse in that slot worked perfect. Thanks for the information on that. I couldn't find a VDC switch yet but I saved the ebay search and I will get notified when one shows up.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,783 Posts
Yes, no switch. But, according to the wiring schematic and diagrams, there is a harness plug in the area where the switch was installed for 02. I haven't had time to take the center cover off to check for it. So it's either there, waiting, or the diagram posted for 01 is for the 02 up.

Base model Outbacks don't have tweeters. The plug for them is there in the door anyway, taped to the harness and is part of the stereo wiring.

·
Registered
2001 OBW H-6 VDC
16 Posts
I found a connector to disable the vdc behing the left headlight, top one of the two connectors mounted to a metal plate under the begining of the stock air intake. I zip-tied a thick plastic bag over it and drove all winter with the vdc off.......However the abs was also off. I was just glad to be able to have fun in the snow again.

-Jenks

·
Registered
01 VDC Outback H6/06 LL Bean H6
55 Posts
Switch

I found a connector to disable the vdc behing the left headlight, top one of the two connectors mounted to a metal plate under the begining of the stock air intake. I zip-tied a thick plastic bag over it and drove all winter with the vdc off.......However the abs was also off. I was just glad to be able to have fun in the snow again.

-Jenks
Any pics for the connector location

·
Registered
1 Posts
Direct VDC switch on 2001 H6 3.0

Hey there!
I tackled this one this evening. 2001 3.0 VDC here.
Comparing VDC schematics from 2001 and 2002 show quite different wiring routing, though both have it on pin 40 of the VDC control module as the path to ground to switch off VDC.

Getting the module out is not the easiest task. Remove lower dash cover below steering wheel, remove the bracket mounting the hood release lever for room, then you can peek up and see it hiding on the outer wall in a vertical position. It is just behind and to the left of the fuse panel.

The connector must lever out after flipping up a metal clip and removing a small phillips screw on the opposite end as the clip, but in order to get the cable at the right angle, the module needs to be unbolted from it's mounting bracket.

4 10mm nuts hold it in place, 2 in front and 2 behind, and they are not easy to reach.

A pivoting 1/4" ratchet is recommended, along with a small extension. Once free you can rotate the module towards you and lever the connector down off the module and off.

Cut a tiewrap on the cable end of the connector to open the top of the housing, then use a small flat blade to pry out the grey rubber seal inside the seating section around the pins.
You can then push the wires down into the connector housing and out the open end to expose the wires.

Pin 40 is in the center row, about halfway and runs on a BG (Black with green stripe) wire.

I opened up the cable wrap to give myself more wire length to work with.
Cut and run your loop to where ever you desire your switch and back to the other end of the cut wire going into the harness wrap, which goes to the fuse box in the engine.
I ran my switch to the side of the centre console, on the drivers side of the e-brake lever area.

Splice away, put a fuse in the FWD/VDC OFF slot in the engine fuse box and away you go! :29:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts