Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New car, '17 Outback Limited, Sirius on a trial basis.

I am new to Sirius. Why would I pay to hear commercials or "DJ's" that pander their self absorbed celebrity wannabe perspectives? If Sirius just provided music, fine. But Sirius is only marginally better than over the air FM. It's a severe disappointment. What am I missing? I can't imagine actually paying to hear this marginal content.

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts
Here’s a couple:
1) I work in 3 States. It’s the same stations everywhere. No screwing around figuring out what stations are where you are and then drive back out of them.

2) You don’t have to have a crazy data plan on my phone to listen to sports, weather, news and the like.

3) most channels have no commercials except when they tell you someone, some event or a channel change is happening. If you’re listening to channels simulcasted from NYC and LA you’ll get commercials. The news has commercials, because it’s the same thing on your TV.

4) you get traffic from Sirius to your NAV (if you have it). Sports and weather also.

5) I’m a big classic rock/metal fan. They have good stations for that.

6) if you like 40’s, Sinatra, classical, techno, disco, etc there’s a butt load of stations for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
I have subscribed to XM since 2014 and have decided to cancel it this month. Just cannot justify it's cost anymore.

I do like the stations, and have gotten used to the DJ format. It can be annoying at times. I like the 70's channel but do not like the magic man DJ he is just awe full.

Something that is very noticeable is the sound quality is not that good compared to the BT. When I connect the BT and listen to music it is has a lot more fidelity.

XM/Sirus is a mixed bag.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
It's called choice. I have two lifetimes and been using it since 2001. I also listen it on my Alexa's devices when I am in the mood. It really nice when travelling and I do not have to use my phone for decent music.

It ok that it is not your cup of tea but to post that you think it bad, is very short sided.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,476 Posts
It all depends on the channels you listen to. There's one I listen to that has very minimal DJ interaction, except during certain special hours (guest DJ, cover songs, etc). The one station even runs complete concerts with no break.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yoda-one.... I consider it "bad" when I get the opportunity to pay for advertisements, no different than standard FM for free. Then there are the false Sirius advertisements that claim "no commercials". That is simply a lie. You like it? Great. I find it worthless.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
Not really relevant to the board, but I agree. I think the service is worth about 5/month that they run on special occasionally, and mainly only because it has national reach. However, the stations are very repetitive and the djs are annoying. Couple that with the fact that they preview a song and then play the song.... Just why? Anyway, I would subscribe if they would do it for another 5/month just because we travel in and out of service areas a good bit and it does make things easier for that reason. Outside of that, there is no reason to spend any money on it. Imo

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I find it worth every penny I pay for the 3 subscriptions I have. Not everyone's cup of tea....ain't America great!!!

Reactions: jsgntulok

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
218 Posts
I like XM. I like driving across country and changing stations because I want something different, not because I go out of range of a station. I think the playlist is sometimes repetitive, but I guess my biggest beef is the reception. Pull near a building, lose signal. Large hill in front of me, lose signal. Cloud cover, poor signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Talk/commentary by DJs is limited to a few channels. The 80s channel features the original MTV VJs doing post lead-in, while First Wave has Richard Blade (and others) doing factoid-related talk. Others - like Yacht Rock (#70 - highly recommended!) and the Classic Rock channels rarely have ANY talk - except during 'special feature' events.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Yoda-one.... I consider it "bad" when I get the opportunity to pay for advertisements, no different than standard FM for free. Then there are the false Sirius advertisements that claim "no commercials". That is simply a lie. You like it? Great. I find it worthless.
Hey, why make it personal?. The channels I listen to doesn't have advertisements or commercials just music. As I said in my first post it is not your cup of tea, so be it. That what choices are all about and again it is just your opinion not a fact. You can enjoy or not enjoy your "FREE" preview and then it's over and c'est la vie.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance, Eyesight
29 Posts
I have a 2014 Outback Limited - it came with 3 months free. I have renewed for the last 3 years. The listed charges are horrible - something like $244 for everything. I call them each year a few days before renewal and they lower the price by more than $100. I like Doctor Radio the best but also listen to classical music and Foxnews.
The price I pay includes listening on smartphone or PC. Have 10GB LTE data for $25 per month so I listen while gardening, which I do 3 hours a day.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
208 Posts
We've have had Serius / XM on several vehicles for quite awhile now. We go with the "select" pkg for $25-30 for five months. It's not the whole enchilada package but has enough. My wife likes the satellite radio, she finds things she likes whether it's music, Martha Stewart or whatever it is. She thinks it sounds fine. To me, I renew, but find it so so. Sounds is crappy usually, too compressed? I like too few stations, only one blues and it's marginal. Outlaw country is OK at times, Spectrum, some others, but I can never find a station to keep it on, Always switching. PITA really, to me. Sports stations, don't need them, listen to FM local sports shows or watch ESPN at home. Regarding satellite ads, I don't seem to catch a lot of them and the few I do don't ruin it for me. For me Spotify is the way to go but I don't have enough data yet on my phone plan. I have playlists that are super and their other options are creative, Pandora like. Sound is stunning on "high" or "extreme" setting. At $120 yr I used to balk at it using the free service (with ads), but all things considered it may be the way to go for me. And I use CD's having a crap load of them. Many new cars no longer have CD players but I'm an old guy. I have LP's too at home.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
You guys can get SiriusXM cheap if you call them and ask for the $25 for 6 month deal. I've never paid more than that for my subscription.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
Great business, have customers pay different prices for same service, so ones who pay full price are subsidizing others... The reason it sounds bad is compression, about 64kbps. That's even worse than basic mp3s. It does not sound bad on talk show with lots of voice; it does sound bad with music.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts
You have the luxury of living in the Bay Area where there are many FM stations to choose from including more than half a dozen independent community commercial free. There are many parts of the country where the choices are very limited. Including my personal pet peeves of lots of religious and country.

I only used it during the trial period with music stations. There weren't any commercials or chatter.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Great business, have customers pay different prices for same service, so ones who pay full price are subsidizing others... The reason it sounds bad is compression, about 64kbps. That's even worse than basic mp3s. It does not sound bad on talk show with lots of voice; it does sound bad with music.
Yoda_One, you took it personal first, you owe the apology. This is CRAP audio quality, and painful for many without defective hearing to listen to, let alone pay for commercials.

HK 564 watt sound?? Wasted with such artifact-heavy sound.

Reactions: roncron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Enjoyed listening to hair nation on drives to and from the outer banks of NC. But the traffic information was not helpful - claiming traffic jams or routing me to add time to my drive. My wife drove her minivan and relied on Waze. I just wish the Subaru gurus would just let whatever I'm looking at on my phone appear on the screen in the car.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,015 Posts
While the ads can be frustrating, I pay for convenience.
I have a few channels I love. Fox News, Road Dog, and the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's channels.
Why do I pay for such a service? Because it's a free country, and my money to spend.
If you don't like it, don't pay for it, it really is that easy...
I can tell you that I had XM back in the early 2000s, when I was a truck driver.
It was so nice to tune into a talk show, and not have to worry about the AM station fading out, then having to scramble around, looking for an affiliate station...
But those days are gone...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts