Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come, when I change my own oil, even though I give them the same car, model, engine, year, etc. every single time, the oil filters (I generally buy Wix filters) are not always the same listing. Some might be a bit rounder than others, some a bit longer, some rounder and longer. All of them always fit my engine, onto the shiny flange that accepts the filter seal, I get to wondering, is there a RIGHT filter that I should be using and certain ones I should NOT be using?

The engine is 2005 2.5i H4 SOHC. Automatic Transmission.

The filter I picked up the other day is a Wix 57712.

When I do a search of my engine and the Wix numbers I've been using, they are always listed online for my engine!

WHAT GIVES?
Signed,
:confused:Dazed & Confused:confused:

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
I can't speak about the internals, but there are probably 3-5 or more filters that will mechanically fit and seal.

I've accidentally used 2 different filters from the dealer on one of my cars and it sealed just fine. Throw aftermarkets manufacturers that likely are trying to limit the number of different can sizes and seal diameters they must use, and of course, car makers just put out specs and bids to filter manufacturers - who probably already have a unit that fits the specs - and there's a gradual evolution to some standard threads, offsets, sealing surfaces, etc. That increases the number of filters that will at least screw on and seal.

Once I looked up one of my soobs, saw the cross reference number to Fram or Purolater whoever, then , put that number into the reverse application chart on-line. There were tons of Hondas that use that same filter - that probably means that there's a Honda dealer's number that would fit on my Soob. doesn't mena it meets Soobs' SPECS. And then, you read where some Honda guys have discovered a bigger filter that they like better - say, they feel it has more filter surface area whatever. Now, does that mean it will fit on your Soob? Probably, unless it's so big it hits the exhaust or something.

·
Registered
16,312 Posts
How come, when I change my own oil, even though I give them the same car, model, engine, year, etc. every single time, the oil filters (I generally buy Wix filters) are not always the same listing.
What other Wix part numbers have you had in the past? Or is it always the same part number but the size appears different? Also, how long back were these obtained.

I had a look at the 57712 (Part Details) and noted that the by-pass valve is spec'd at 23 psi, and it also has the anti-drainback valve; both of which have not been found together on aftermarket filters that are listed for the same Subaru engine, or on Wix filters for Subarus in the past. (There are threads here dealing with this in more detail, one in which I reported on testing I did on a range of filters back in around 2009, including the Wix that was used then.) The principal application of the 57712 is Subaru and no other make is mentioned, which is unusual. It looks as if Wix has moved forward to provide a specific engine oil filter that meets the Subaru requirements head on.

(I wonder if it's made the same as the Wix I examined, which was rather unique, or if the internals are different and more like other makes.)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through my records for the OB.
It looks like I purchased Wix 51334 most of the time.
On one occasion, I installed a Wix 51042, however, that was before I knew that my car has a SOHC, as it mentions my engine on the receipt as 2.5 DOHC.

So, in the mix-up of my not being sure of exactly which engine I have (I definitely have the SOHC), that could have been the issue.

The one I mentioned in the OP, (57712), is apparently a "new listing" according to the guy at the store. The fact that you say that it appears to be made exclusively for my engine means that I will use the 57712 from now on!

Thank you!

1 Lucky Texan, thank you too!
As for the physical size, I am not out using the car in extreme conditions, through all kinds of dry dirt, high water, deep mud, etc. so I could really care less if there are not quite as many square inches of internal filtering material, as, I doubt I use it all anyway! One filter could probably go ten times as many miles as the frequency I change our oils! Now, if I were racing across the desert, yeah, I would want everything to be the biggest, the most expensive and the best!

Thank you as well!
I shall stick with this new number for sure (I saw the applications and it really is a no-brainer)!!

·
Registered
16,312 Posts
I went through my records for the OB.
It looks like I purchased Wix 51334 most of the time.
The 51334 is still listed as applicable to Subarus, but it has the 8 - 11 psi by-pass valve, whereas Subaru spec is generally 23 psi. (See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/18231-wisdom-using-oem-oil-filters-only.html, and http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/18231-wisdom-using-oem-oil-filters-only-2.html#post173542 for my breakdown results.)

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
yeah, as said, I didn't know about the internals - but i do recall that Wix recently added a filter with the higher bypass specs.

still, OEM filters are not expensive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks guys (gals), you have been a great help to me!
It will be the Wix 57712 from now on. The auto parts store has really helped me, I would like to continue to purchase anything I can there! When I tried to get a lower price from the dealer I was met with "that's the price, sorry we cannot go any lower than that, take it or leave it" kind of attitude. I understand they need to make money, too. I would think they probably do alright with the vehicles they sell!

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
OK, thanks guys (gals), you have been a great help to me!
It will be the Wix 57712 from now on. The auto parts store has really helped me, I would like to continue to purchase anything I can there! When I tried to get a lower price from the dealer I was met with "that's the price, sorry we cannot go any lower than that, take it or leave it" kind of attitude. I understand they need to make money, too. I would think they probably do alright with the vehicles they sell!

you could try subarugenuineparts.com for OEM parts -or other on-line dealers - but i agree that wix part seems OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing