Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium; 1999 Legacy L Sedan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thumbed through the site a little bit and did a couple searches, but still couldn't find what I was looking for... This is a very n00b question!!

I just bought a 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium and of course it has the "Sat" button on the radio. When I press it, nothing happens. Do I need to take it to Subaru for the $400+ install, or does it just need a XM antenna?

It'd be nice to have it integrated, but I do already have a portable XM radio and I don't know if the price tag is worth full integration. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I thumbed through the site a little bit and did a couple searches, but still couldn't find what I was looking for... This is a very n00b question!!

I just bought a 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium and of course it has the "Sat" button on the radio. When I press it, nothing happens. Do I need to take it to Subaru for the $400+ install, or does it just need a XM antenna?

It'd be nice to have it integrated, but I do already have a portable XM radio and I don't know if the price tag is worth full integration. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
If you had it (with no subscription), it should have gone to an XM Preview station when you pushed the SAT button.

I think you need to buy the whole XM "Kit" from Subaru, which is fairly expensive, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
When my wife got her new car the XM was already activated for a free one month trial. There is also this "shark fin" antenna on the roof, unlike the smaller aftermarket antenna I use in my older Sube. So, if you don't have antenna already installed and and a free trial you may not have it. If your head unit is compatible it may be worth the activation and antenna installation cost. Personally, I was able to run my own antenna and find a place to mount my receiver inside the car.

If you have an account with your portable XM radio you can switch it over to your new Subaru if you do get the on-board XM hardware to work or installed. Most portable XM units will give you the radio/account ID by going to channel 0 (zero).

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium; 1999 Legacy L Sedan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - kind of what I was wondering is if the "head unit" was compatible or not. I guess I was hoping all the 4th Gen Subarus came stock with a compatible radio, but just needed antenna and activation. I went onto XM's website and put in the VIN number which it did not recognize. Not looking good! I suppose the only way to find out is to hook up an antenna and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
most likely you don't have it. if you want it, get a real stereo. don't waste your time with the **** offered by Subaru.
Brad has a good point here. For the price you'd pay for the Subaru XM kit, you could buy a nice double-DIN headunit with XM that will be significantly nicer than the stock one.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
If you decide to try to activate your existing radio's XM, get a quote or two from aftermarket places like Best Buy and your local car stereo store. Should be a lot cheaper than anything Subaru offers. They should also be able to tell you for free just what parts you need to make it work.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
^^ +1 Some radios come "XM Ready" and only need a component between the FM antenna and an aftermarket XM antenna to receive the XM stations. I put one in my Chevy Suburban about 8 years ago and it was about $50. It displays the XM radio info like channel, artist, and song name on the Chevy's head unit display. The irony of the technology market is that it will probably cost less now, especially if you get it from Amazon or eBay. It sounds like your head unit is XM Ready because it has a "Sat" button.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
If you had it (with no subscription), it should have gone to an XM Preview station when you pushed the SAT button.

I think you need to buy the whole XM "Kit" from Subaru, which is fairly expensive, but I could be wrong.
yep - the radios had the Sirius/XM modules as an option... some trims came with the satellite radio fully functional.

There were two different ones :
Might find one on ebay cheap. Or maybe from a salvage yard (search on car-parts.com).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts