Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Outback has problem with battery dying when it sits more than a week.
Well, it’s dead again, and this time all doors are locked. With keyless entry, and no physical key, is there a way to open the hood from outside so I can charge the battery?
Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
199 Posts
Inside the keyless remote, there is a physical key that can be released from the bottom, this key only works in the drivers side door and the hatch (I cant remember if all models have it). Once the Driver's side door is open, you should be able to access the hood release.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eyesight
25 Posts
There is a physical key. Press the silver button on the back of the fob and pull on the ring. Out slides the key. Use it on the lock on the driver's door. Hold fob to start button and press button if it the battery on fob that's dead and you can start it. If it is the car, release the hood and jump it like you would any other car...

I do the 3 times a week for people parked outside my office and can't figure out why the car alarm is going off and they can't start their car (small town no locked cars). Various brands/models.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
345 Posts
Inside the keyless remote, there is a physical key that can be released from the bottom, this key only works in the drivers side door and the hatch (I cant remember if all models have it). Once the Driver's side door is open, you should be able to access the hood release.

Yes everyone, it pays to check your owners manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
Canadian Gen 5 Outbacks have a key entry feature on the hatch?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,442 Posts
This is why you keep your lithium jump starter under the front seats instead of in with the spare: when the battery is dead you can't open the back hatch, but you can still open the driver's door and access whatever's under the seats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it’s dead again, and this time all doors are locked. With keyless entry, and no physical key, is there a way to open the hood from outside so I can charge the battery?
Beat me by about 4 secs. Lol 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your help!
I asked here because my owners manual was INSIDE the locked car! I did find the answer in an online owners manual before I saw your responses.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
345 Posts
Thank you all for your help!
I asked here because my owners manual was INSIDE the locked car! I did find the answer in an online owners manual before I saw your responses.
View attachment 511636
Lesson learned for you. Fortunately, I thought of this potential problem before it happened and found my answer in the OM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,205 Posts
Makes me think there ought to be a back seat release that's accessible from the front somewhere. Then you could drop the back seat to get at whatever you can't reach when the hatch won't open because the battery is dead.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Makes me think there ought to be a back seat release that's accessible from the front somewhere. Then you could drop the back seat to get at whatever you can't reach when the hatch won't open because the battery is dead.
Different than the button on the top of the seat back by the headrest? Like accessible from the drivers seat?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Never knew I had those. They are reachable from the front seat? Will have to try that out sometime.
I also just learned that the rear seats recline slightly. Glad I asked!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Not really accessible from the front seat, but are right there when you open the back doors. Figured maybe you meant another release in the front or something like that.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I did, because I didn't think the rear door could be opened easily from the front if you just had to use the manual key. However, you can get at the lock lever easily.
Thanks for the replies, because I learned something about the rear seats that I never knew. It's the car that just keeps on giving!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts