Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 2005 Outback XT Limited since October (ish). Had about 102K when I bought it. Just went over 106K.

Had the 105K Service done at 104.5K.

I recently added a can of Seafoam to the gas tank. It had previously lit up a code on the "Tumble Generator Valve" (which I had cleared and hasn't shown up since).

Since it's been cool / cold here in Colorado, I've been kind of babying it. I let it warm up in the driveway, and then I tend to keep the RPM's below 3K until the temp gauge is up to normal.

When I let out the clutch at really low RPM, I've noticed a shudder that sounds like it wants to throw off the muffler. I assume this is somewhat normal, as my '91 Legacy Wagon did the same thing.

When I'm driving around town, I tend to try and keep the RPM's below 3K.

We had a '99 Land Rover Discovery Series I. It eventually developed some issues with carbon on the valves. Our mechanic recommended a fuel-system additive and that we "drive it like we stole it".

Based on what I've read on the Internet, I've been trying not to stress the clutch or turbo. Perhaps to the point of lugging the motor and maybe causing other issues.

Just curious how you drive your 2005 Outback XT, and thinking maybe it would be happier if I just drove it like a WRX.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
I take it easy until the temp gauge centers, then I tend to get rougher with it, at least if I'm paying attention.

5k+ RPM every day I drive it, and I try to give it good fuel. Nothing that is connected to a grocery store with a per gallon discount or loyalty club. I have tried that fuel mind you, but it just doesn't idle as smoothly or take off as fast.

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
^ Same for me, let it warm up then drive however I feel. I usually keep the RPMs over 2500 so I will have the power quickly if I need it. Gas from Chevron and Costco on occasion.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
Me three. My last car had and 8500 rpm redline so I have no problem winding it up. I also like to take it easy the last .25 a .5 mile to let the turbo cool off.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
76 Posts
I do the same thing as the OP, try and keep it under 3k. But I do like to show folks what they are missing in this town (everyone has a big, slow off the line truck) every so often.

I've got a rough idle and I bet the original plugs and wires are in there, so that is going to be my next job.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Wires aren't the problem because they care low voltage to the coils which is right on the spark plug. A leaking seal around the spark plug tube can get oil in there and is a common issue. MAF cleaning. Also a burn exhaust valve is a possibility, there are plenty of other things to check before that becomes a real contender.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT GRP
172 Posts
I bought mine a year ago with 78K and now I'm sitting at 100,800mi. I've only had to replace the clutch, but that was my fault - never owned a manual, let alone one like this. Went with a Spec Stage 2 for an upgrade. I let it warm up and then I drive it however I feel which is usually "like a WRX". It seemed to act a bit "funny" when I babied it everywhere.

Always go with top tier gas. If you're planning a road trip, plan accordingly.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where can I get good fuel in Colorado Springs? I've been using Sam's Club exclusively.

It seems to be hesitating below 2K lately. Idle seems fine, and nothing obvious above 2K.

I don't know if I'm just now noticing it, or it's a result of it being babied, or that can of Seafoam in the gas tank or what.

There is a note in the maintenance records about carbon build-up on the intake that hasn't been addressed.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Granted I used the much maligned apple ios maps for the results, but it looks like you have 3 shell stations, a half-dozen texacos, one Phillips 66 and a handful of conocos to pick from. I'd try those, probably in that order.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny thing is -- I was driving yesterday and asked Siri for directions to a "Shell gas station". It pulled up 3 - all between 72 and 79 miles from me, in Denver.
--

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Yep that's ios maps for ya.

Well, it does appear that conoco is actually a full member of the top tier org... I recall that Colorado is blanketed in them. Give it a try?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out the Circle K sells Shell gasoline, so I filled it up.

Probably my imagination since I've only driven ~11 miles since the fill-up, but I thought it already seemed better and the displayed MPG is way up.
--

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Sounds like it was the sea foam. Once you diluted it with the new gas it was a lot better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts