Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 2020 Touring mid week. What do you recommend and what does Subaru recommend as to new engine brake-in? Appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
241 Posts
Picking up my 2020 Touring mid week. What do you recommend and what does Subaru recommend as to new engine brake-in? Appreciate your advice.
I assume you mean BREAK-in. Basically change speed now and then, and briefly get up to 75 or so. Not much else, but read the manual. Change oil and filter at 5,000 miles (unless you are a worry-wart).

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
227 Posts
I"ll second the manual. If it's like the gen 5 they'll say to keep RPMs below 4,000.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This will be one of many new vehicles I have broken in and never had one with an engine that consumed measurable oil while I owned it. First, as others have said, follow the directions in the manual; the manual always takes priority over everything else when considering breakin. Next this is what I do. I will not drive the freeway when returning from the dealer and will breakup the 22 mi drive by stopping to top off the tank of gas to begin my gas mileage data collection..Driving the first 100 miles will be somewhat slow, around town where there will be stops so the tach will be going up and down a lot. I will keep the max RPM under 3K when possible. I will not accelerate or brake hard, I will add a small strong magnet to the outside of the oil filter (easy to do on a 2020 outback) when leaving the dealership. I purchased a number of rare earth magnets for this purpose. Plan that the person doing the oil change will not return the magnets so 10 magnets for the first 60K miles. If you want to know why I do this then know that the oil will pickup metal machining residue plus the particles of ware from the breakin. I may change the oil, myself, at 2-3K miles. Oil filters pass particles >25 microns and if they are metal I don't want them in my oil. For the record, you wine is likely filtered better than you engine oil. After the 1st 100 miles I plan to start driving some on the freeways in traffic while never going 4K RPM.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You are wise to be thinking about engine break-in. It is said that the first 1000 miles can dictate how well the engine performs for the rest of its life.

For most newly rebuilt engines, it is advantageous to use an occasional burst of full-throttle acceleration followed by deceleration. (ALWAYS a fully warmed-up engine!!)

The acceleration forces the rings against the cylinder-walls so they conform to the cylinder-walls The deceleration allows the rings to 'flutter' and causes a high vacuum which sucks some oil up to wash off any metal partials.

The idea here is to encourage the piston rings to seat BEFORE the cylinder-walls glaze over. This helps the rings to form a good seal. The result is more power, better MPG and less oil-consumption.

If a new engine is "babied", it is likely that the cylinder-walls will glaze BEFORE the rings seat. If this occurs, it is unlikely the rings will ever seat.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
301 Posts
A lot of the "break in" advice you will hear is old-husband's tales, unless scientific evidence can be provided. I do think it makes some intuitive sense not to floor the thing too often in the first several hundred miles. Also, wash it daily with holy water (I think that goes without saying) and a few incantations couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
750 Posts
Some some short full throttle acceleration followed by coasting will seat those rings!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,454 Posts
Keep engine RPM under 4000 for the first thousand miles.

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
263 Posts
The thing you have to understand is when you mash the gas for a "quick getaway" its easy to rev the motor way up. It happens quick. Learn to ease takeoff to around 2000-2500 rpms. Beside not screwing up your motor you really can get 30 mpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts