Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6-3.0
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the serpentine belt and decided to replace the tensioner/idler for preventive maintenance.

I got the belt off ok, but i can't get the pulleys off, and I'm want to confirm there isn't a step im missing.

Loosened and removed the belt by twisting the bolt on the tensioner clockwise, but i couldn't get it to go any further clockwise to try and take it off, and I can't get the bolt on the idler to do anything either.

I don't want to continue trying to just twist on them without being sure and accidentally damage the bolts (one already has somewhat rounded edges).

So just to confirm. Took belt off using instructions from here

Is there anything else before removing the bolts? And turn clockwise or counterclockwise?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Evening.

Clockwise not only moves the tensioner to loosen the belt, but tightens the bolt. To get the bolt out, you would use the same wrench, 14mm and turn on the bolt counterclockwise to loosen it. The pulley will move back up and stop in the spring lock position and then the bolt will break loose.

When you reinstall the belt, it would be easier if you routed the belt around everything but the idler. Since it is smooth without an edge, it simplifies sliding the belt on/off.

I have attached a pic. Be sure your tensioner lines up with the indicator after you install the belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evening.

Clockwise not only moves the tensioner to loosen the belt, but tightens the bolt. To get the bolt out, you would use the same wrench, 14mm and turn on the bolt counterclockwise to loosen it. The pulley will move back up and stop in the spring lock position and then the bolt will break loose.

When you reinstall the belt, it would be easier if you routed the belt around everything but the idler. Since it is smooth without an edge, it simplifies sliding the belt on/off.

I have attached a pic. Be sure your tensioner lines up with the indicator after you install the belt.
Ok, thanks. Counterclockwise for the idler pulley too?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got them off. Had to put a pipe on the wrench to get enough leverage to get the bolts free. Replaced the pulleys with the dayco pulleys from the sticky in this forum. So far seem to work ok, the belt is tight enough and the car isn't squeaking anymore.

I did accidentally get some wd40 on the crankshaft pulley but tried to clean if off best i could with acetone before putting the belt on. Hopefully it won't cause any problems

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a dayco polyrib belt, the only brand that anyone had in stock locally that fitted the h6. Does have a 3 year warranty though, so if it does have problems i can get a new one without much trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts