Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it attach automatically? Does it have to be plugged in?
What experiences do you have using the built in Qi charger with Google Auto.

Folks are welcome to address the same issues with Apple Autoplay.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My google auto does not work on my OB. I do what I did before which is just mount my phone on the vent.
Couldn't get it to work during the OB pickup at the dealer and was told to just do it when I got home. Big mistake on my part.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts
Does it attach automatically? Does it have to be plugged in?
What experiences do you have using the built in Qi charger with Google Auto.

Folks are welcome to address the same issues with Apple Autoplay.
Mi Pixel 2 XL connects automatically and starts AA whenever I plug in my phone. Wireless charging works well with my sister's Pixel 3 XL. But since the head unit doesn't support wireless AA, you can't connect AA wirelessly.

I sometimes just use Bluetooth when I don't need navigation and I just leave the phone in the wireless charger and that works well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My google auto does not work on my OB. I do what I did before which is just mount my phone on the vent.
Couldn't get it to work during the OB pickup at the dealer and was told to just do it when I got home. Big mistake on my part.
There is a troubleshooting thing for android auto in another post - Can link to it if you want to try doing android auto again. Important to have good cables - but as @chvvkumar has remarked, a simple bluetooth connection gives you most of the benefits unless you want the google map in the head unit display.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have used a number of connecting cables including the original cable that came with my LG G7 phone. Related software has been updated and rechecked a number of times. The cable works with the phone calls, at least it did yesterday. The radio muted and Sirius paused. I just checked and found my WiFi was off during the incoming call with connection. Best I could tell the AA was not running. I didn't get the TomTom nav because I use Google Maps and Waze so getting AA to work as expected was not considered.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
84 Posts
Is the 2020 different than 2019? In 2019 there were very few vehicles and very few Android phones which would connect together for AA wirelessly. And it does need to be a USB data cable, not just a charging cable.

In my 2019 Outback the car has to detect the phone before you can push the AA icon. In my 2019 Chevy Colorado you can push the AA icon and it will search for the phone. I like the latter better.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Is the 2020 different than 2019? In 2019 there were very few vehicles and very few Android phones which would connect together for AA wirelessly. And it does need to be a USB data cable, not just a charging cable.

In my 2019 Outback the car has to detect the phone before you can push the AA icon. In my 2019 Chevy Colorado you can push the AA icon and it will search for the phone. I like the latter better.
In the 2020 the AA icon does not become active until it detects the plugged in phone - but once it is detected you don't need to push the AA icon - it automatically turns on (my experience anyways).

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think for initial Android Auto setup you need to be in park with the e-brake engaged. That's how I managed to get Android Auto to work with my uncle's Pixel 3a for the first time. For some reason, plugging in the usb cable did nothing originally.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think for initial Android Auto setup you need to be in park with the e-brake engaged. That's how I managed to get Android Auto to work with my uncle's Pixel 3a for the first time. For some reason, plugging in the usb cable did nothing originally.
Thanks, I will try your suggested procedure but I think this was the way it was originally attempted. For the record, yesterday I was connected with a purchased data/charging cable and I have tested a number of them. Something was going through the cable because a phone call came through the info system. I also used the original cable that came with the phone resulting in negative connection to AA. I will post a screen photo when I get some more time.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
330 Posts
Mi Pixel 2 XL connects automatically and starts AA whenever I plug in my phone. Wireless charging works well with my sister's Pixel 3 XL. But since the head unit doesn't support wireless AA, you can't connect AA wirelessly.

I sometimes just use Bluetooth when I don't need navigation and I just leave the phone in the wireless charger and that works well.
I have had the same positive experience as @chvvkumar with my Pixel 2. The only issue I have had is that Waze sound comes from my phone rather than the car's sound system. Google Maps works perfectly. Assume either Waze or AA will be updated at some some point to correct the issue.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The only issue I have had is that Waze sound comes from my phone rather than the car's sound system.

Maybe you've the "play sound to phone speaker" toggle on within waze?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
330 Posts
Maybe you've the "play sound to phone speaker" toggle on within waze?
I have toggled it. When I first got the vehicle, the other audio would decrease in volume and then there was no sound from Waze.

Now it looks like it has improved, but the toggle does not stick and it has to be set when the phone is not connected to AA. Not ready for prime time IMHO. Additionally the voice is kinda tinny and the turn instructions don't appear on the display between the tach and speedo.

Google maps seems much more refined at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts