Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Reporting back as promised. I drove a premium model. It is noticeably faster than the Gen 3 and fully adequate for anything besides towing. As I mentioned above, passing is a concern. In Colorado, passing zones tend be very short, almost always with oncoming traffic. With that in mind, my dad convinced me to get the XT. I didn't drive a XT, but did order an Onyx.

I didn't spend a ton of time with the Outback, but a lot of the problems I've read about really didn't seem like a big deal. I will be looking to add a bigger rear sway bar immediately but that was really my only issue.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited Abyss Blue Pearl 2.5
72 Posts
I have seen quite a few Posts Disparaging the 2.5 engine's performance. I find my 2.5 to be fine for my needs. They tried to sell me an XT when I bought my LTD. I told the salesman that I would rather have the extra MPG, and the non Turbo has less parts that potentially could breakdown. Living in Florida we have lots of Oldsters on the Roads, and I have to pass quite often. my little 2.5 gets the Job done no sweat.
NuSubaru.JPG

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,603 Posts
Reporting back as promised. I drove a premium model. It is noticeably faster than the Gen 3 and fully adequate for anything besides towing. As I mentioned above, passing is a concern. In Colorado, passing zones tend be very short, almost always with oncoming traffic. With that in mind, my dad convinced me to get the XT. I didn't drive a XT, but did order an Onyx.

I didn't spend a ton of time with the Outback, but a lot of the problems I've read about really didn't seem like a big deal. I will be looking to add a bigger rear sway bar immediately but that was really my only issue.
Wow, you ordered an Onyx without driving one? You're in for a happy surprise!
ps. Assume they are going to find you a 2020 Onyx in the pipeline or are you ordering a 2021?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow, you ordered an Onyx without drivign one? You're in for a happy surprise!
ps. Assume they are going to find you a 2020 Onyx in the pipeline or are you ordering a 2021?
This is still 2020, I think for another couple of months although 2021 orders start in a few weeks. I wanted to take advantage of the current promotions and an October arrival date on an August order could cause some problems for me. This one was already destined for the dealer. Not the color I wanted, but it will do. The premium handles all our needs, the Onyx takes care of a lot of wants.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I wonder what proportion of 2020 Outback sales are turbo vs NA in the real world. Surely NA is more, but in a forum the big engine and well-appointed variants are over-represented. It was surprising that the Forester XT was only 5% take rate. It had a sport sharp mode that I wish we had.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Outback Premium
35 Posts
Living in the mountains of NC, I have been very satisfied with my 2020 Premium 2.5 both on two lane country roads and on the interstate highway. If extra speed is your need just realize it will cost extra up front and in fuel mileage. I once owned a supercharged Mini Cooper and it definitely had the zip but the extra zip wasn't really needed and I felt like it was a speeding ticket waiting to happen.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
If you have the bucks XT for sure. If you're practical and want high fuel mileage you'll get the 2.5. Other than the up front cost and lower mileage, the only real negative on the XT seems to be the fine print in the Subaru Gold Plus warranty that talks about limitations and surcharges for turbo engines. It will be interesting to see in a few years how the long term reliability of the turbo compares to the NA engines. In the past I rarely kept cars past 70K miles so it didn't really concern me, but now I shoot for the 150-200K range so durability has become much more important.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
Uh, what? Maybe I should have done more homework.
If you go to Subaru Added Security and expand the section on Agreement Comparisons you will see that Subaru lists a surcharge for turbos, but it doesn't give additional details. Since I don't have a turbo I don't know what the additional limitations and surcharges are, only that Subaru discloses in advance that they exist, which suggests they expect more issues with a turbo than a NA engine. The last Subaru turbo we had was in the 80s, no issues other than tickling the red zone on temperature during sustained use. In the short time we had it (less than 50K miles) it was fine. Hopefully the turbos of today are even better since that's what everyone seems to be going to, but we shall see.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
All things being equal, a turbo does stress an engine more, and one can add things like an accessport or other "tuning" that will increase boost - turbo owners are more likely to make mods - cold air intake, exhaust, things that can change the performance and potentially cause increased stress on the engine beyond "stock".

I have owned 5 turbocharged vehicles and none of them have ever given me any problem with the turbo or the engine. Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo, Toyota MR2 Turbo, Subaru Legacy GT Turbo, Subaru WRX Turbo, and now the 2020 Subaru Outback XT. I have not kept any of my turbo cars past 100k miles however, so this is not a testament to the long-term issue.

Subaru in particular has a very long history of turbocharged engines, and their turbo engines are well designed for the added stress of a turbo.

One caveat about Turbos is that in my mind, they REQUIRE meticulous attention to oil changes. If there is anything a Turbo does to an engine, it's wearing out the oil faster, and relying on good oil that much more. Do not neglect oil changes. If there is any singular reason for more turbocharged engines failing it's because they do not respond well to maintenance neglect. Ideally you change the oil and oil filters yourself so that you know exactly what oil is being used. Some people go to Jiffy Lube types of places - I would never do that with a turbo but many do, and it's understandable. Not everyone has a driveway or garage, but do please go to an actual mechanic, or even the dealer, instead of a jiffy lube type of place.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,038 Posts
All things being equal, a turbo does stress an engine more, and one can add things like an accessport or other "tuning" that will increase boost - turbo owners are more likely to make mods - cold air intake, exhaust, things that can change the performance and potentially cause increased stress on the engine beyond "stock".

I have owned 5 turbocharged vehicles and none of them have ever given me any problem with the turbo or the engine. Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo, Toyota MR2 Turbo, Subaru Legacy GT Turbo, Subaru WRX Turbo, and now the 2020 Subaru Outback XT. I have not kept any of my turbo cars past 100k miles however, so this is not a testament to the long-term issue.

Subaru in particular has a very long history of turbocharged engines, and their turbo engines are well designed for the added stress of a turbo.

One caveat about Turbos is that in my mind, they REQUIRE meticulous attention to oil changes. If there is anything a Turbo does to an engine, it's wearing out the oil faster, and relying on good oil that much more. Do not neglect oil changes. If there is any singular reason for more turbocharged engines failing it's because they do not respond well to maintenance neglect. Ideally you change the oil and oil filters yourself so that you know exactly what oil is being used. Some people go to Jiffy Lube types of places - I would never do that with a turbo but many do, and it's understandable. Not everyone has a driveway or garage, but do please go to an actual mechanic, or even the dealer, instead of a jiffy lube type of place.
I would not trust the dealer either.
What are the chances that the kid doing the oil changes reads the paperwork and then grabs the hose with the correct oil, being hung over and paid minimum wage?
Either do the oil change yourself or go to a place where you can watch it being done.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,038 Posts
I would not trust the dealer either.
What are the chances that the kid doing the oil changes reads the paperwork and then grabs the hose with the correct oil, being hung over and paid minimum wage?
Either do the oil change yourself or go to a place where you can watch it being done.
It's worse than trusting the dealer with a software update, and we know how even that goes in many cases, LOL. 😂

21 - 34 of 34 Posts