Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2002 subaru wagon with 344k miles on it for $120. I installed what is now it's third engine and a wheel bearing and got it running again. The manual transmission and all three differentials seem to be working just fine. I am wondering what the maximum lifespan (when not abused) seen on subaru manual transmissions of that era is . I am starting to think the car is on it's second transmission

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,594 Posts
wow

I admit to occasionally driving my WRX like I stole it, but I zippered all the teeth off of 2nd gear. Under 70K miles. I have read that 3rd gear is most likely to fail. Supposedly, the case is weak and flexes too much? But I'm sure they 'could' last a long time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You’re well past mine. I had an ‘01 outback with the 5sp MT until 240k original transmission. Never any problems with the trans despite a rough life. but if you’re doing a clutch job go ahead and do the clutch fork too it’s kind of a weak spot to take care of while you’ve got it apart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts