Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000-2004, 4 or 6 cyl, auto, I just need to know if it's under 4 feet, otherwise it's almost unshippable from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
18,728 Posts
Well, the shafts on the 3rd generation range from about 51 to about 58 inches between the center of the far end U-joints. That doesn't include the stub shaft at the front that goes into the transmission or the flange end at the back. The 2nd generation were a few inches shorter in wheelbase, but I suspect you're still going to be over 48 inches in length including the stub shaft and flange.

That said, I'm not sure, but I believe from comments I've read here about disabling the drive shaft, it might be two pieces. I don't see anything like that in the FSM -- there's either a U-joint or a Carden (CV) joint just behind the center bearing, but perhaps either they can be separated (probably not the best thing) or there's splined shafts connecting the two parts. If they could be separated without risk, then side-by-side the two pieces should be within the length limit.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
I crawled under my Outback earlier and gave him the measure. 5', give or take a couple inches, front to back.

I've never tried to separate the halves, so I can't say one way or the other.

I think I kicked his puppy twice today. :(

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
They aren't designed to be separated.
Hence the reason you have to buy an entire driveshaft when the center bearing goes bad.

A driveshaft shop may be capable of servicing them but finding the correct size carrier bearing is usually the issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought one of these two weeks ago from a rebuilder and it was shipped UPS. No problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts