Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am frustrated beyond belief with Subaru. Bought a brand new 2012 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT at the end of June 2012. Took it in the first week in Oct because of a loud metallic ticking sound in the engine. Was told it was a timing belt pulley which was replaced. Drove it off the lot a week later and the sound was still there. They took it immediately back in and they diagnosed it as a terminal transmission issue after 2 weeks. Well, here I am on the 13th of Dec. and finally got word that Subaru shipped my new warranty transmission from Japan! It will be here in a week and should be about 3-4 days after that that my car will finally be ready. It is covered under warranty, so I am grateful for that. However, I've now made 3 consecutive car payments (Oct.10, Nov.10 and Dec.10) on a vehicle I have not seen in well over 2 months and, based on previous missed deadlines from Subaru, probably not going to see it again before the New Year.

Here's my question: what should I expect from Subaru for this incredible inconvenience? I mean, I am looking at a new car for the fiance and was strongly considering a Subaru for her, but that is NOT going to happen now. I've never had an issue on a new car and certainly never had one take this long to make right. Is it reasonable to request they swap my car (6,000 miles) on the ODO for a new one? Should I ask for a free 100k warranty? What would you do in my shoes?

I have actually considered accepting my car back once it's repaired and immediately trading it in on another manufacturer such as Kia or Hyundai as I have very, very little faith in Subaru going forward from a service perspective.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Free 10yr 100K transferable warranty - yes they will give it to you with no questions. As for your issues if they were common they wouldn't need to ship it from Japan it would be instock locally. Very rare failure and issues and no subaru and all the other auto makers are not immune to this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know transmission failures this early are incredibly rare, but why on earth does it take this long to get a new transmission? At this rate, I will have driven my loaner car more than the car I bought?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I know transmission failures this early are incredibly rare, but why on earth does it take this long to get a new transmission? At this rate, I will have driven my loaner car more than the car I bought?

Simple extra inventory is the death of business. For very rare failures it makes zero business sense to stock said parts beyond what is needed for actual production of said product.

The companies that have mastered the parts flow to eliminate storage and extra inventory are the healthiest and most profitable companies in the world today.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Subiesailor! I believe there are different levels of warranty. Do I just ask for a 10yr/100k like you suggested or do I need to tell them some level i.e. gold, etc.? I really appreciate your help and insight.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
they gave you a loaner so, at least you're putting miles on someone else's car.

but, I don't think too many people would fault you for personally being both upset and for losing confidence in Subaru.

I doubt you would find Kia, and perhaps not Hyundai to be adequate replacements in the longterm though.

If the dealership can't make you a deal on the warranty - I bet the Regional SOA Representative can.

I once waited for 6 weeks for 2 window motors for warranty repair on a Ford Windstar van. I even brought up the point that, whilethe service writer and I were discussing the car, in Canada they just installed these in about 3 new vans! Thinking back, it likely was a JIT inventory allocation issue. Blame taxation on inventory as the problem - they would rather the home plant or the trucking company had the parts than hold them locally.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I currently own a Hyundai and my last car was a Kia. They're fine cars, but not without their own issues.

Don't blame you for being upset one bit, but I'd check your state's lemon laws to see if you have any recourse. If not, then contact SOA and register your complaint. They seem to be reasonably responsive to these matters.

In the end, it sucks that you're in this position. If you want to sell or otherwise get rid of the OB, I don't blame you. There are good alternatives out there, but I doubt your OB with a new CVT will continue to be such a headache once it's repaired.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks, Subiesailor! I believe there are different levels of warranty. Do I just ask for a 10yr/100k like you suggested or do I need to tell them some level i.e. gold, etc.? I really appreciate your help and insight.
In cases like this subaru can give you any sort of warranty you want or ask for.

I would just say look I have serious reservations about this CVT issue and I would feel much better keeping the car and staying with Subaru if you give me a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty on it.

They won't even blink they will have you sign the warranty contract details and send you on your way.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Along with the extended warranty, I believe you can make a case for them reimbursing you for the car payments you made, while they had the car. From what I have read, though there may be some hiccups in the repair process, Subaru does seem to step up, when it comes to customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
Both sides sound about right. Not surprised you're annoyed, you need no adjustment on your part. Just do the best you can to be forward thinking and move on through this mess. I suggest not throwing any manufacturer out for anecdotal insignificance. But I'm too practical at times.

No vehicle is ever perfect, you're the sufferer of the outlier, you're the 1 in 10,000 unfortunately. Happens with every manufacturer.

If you extrapolate mileage costs minus gas costs - they're giving you hundreds of dollars in value - wipers, fluids, brake pads, light bulbs, etc. Or extrapolate a $20,000 car spread out over 10 years and you're making out a few hundred dollars a month...maybe approaching $1,000 if you use actual figures.

It's not your vehicle, not money in your pocket, and annoying, but they are giving you something, this is also costing them, and they have a system in place to protect you. Systems always fall short of being personal, but at least it's something and it's effective from a practical standpoint.

New models, new systems (CVT) generally have issues like this. It's rather common...for an uncommon situation (since new cars usually don't need much attention). That's the one risk of a new vehicle - very resource intensive (time or money) if you get into certain issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your frustration is completely understandable. My family has owned a total of 19 Subaru vehicles since 1982 and never had a problem like this.

I personally would go for all I could get. Start with trying to swap your car, then go for the payments, but take no less than the extended warrantee. I would not give up on Subaru. They have had their issues, but they are one terrific, reliable, safe, long lasting, and for the most part, trouble free car.

Over the years that I have owned Subaru's, I have also owned a Mazda 626, Nissan Pathfinder, BMW 330Ci, and a MINI COOPER S. All of these cars were bought new and they are gone. I now own three Subaru's and don't plan on buying anyother make.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They should offer you an extended warranty no problem, and I think you have a good chance of them taking care of a few payments.

Have you considered bringing up the Lemon Law, you definitely fall into that as it requires a repair to be made 4 times or for the car to be out of service for more than 30 days. A friend of mine had their car bought back and they opted to receive the current model year(1 year newer) as a replacement along with the dealer taking care of a couple payments.

Either way I would say that Subaru is very reliable and this looks like a more isolated case, though I can understand your hesitation after dealing with this.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
They should offer you an extended warranty no problem, and I think you have a good chance of them taking care of a few payments.

Have you considered bringing up the Lemon Law, you definitely fall into that as it requires a repair to be made 4 times or for the car to be out of service for more than 30 days. A friend of mine had their car bought back and they opted to receive the current model year(1 year newer) as a replacement along with the dealer taking care of a couple payments.

Either way I would say that Subaru is very reliable and this looks like a more isolated case, though I can understand your hesitation after dealing with this.
Do not talk Lemon law unless you plan on getting zero assistance from the car company and are stuck with a faulty product. So far his experience has not been such - long term loaner issued - factory new AT being installed at no cost etc.

Mention lemon law and you can expect Subaru dropping you like your infected with Herpes which case make sure you have a lawyer ready when you talk Lemon Law.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do not talk Lemon law unless you plan on getting zero assistance from the car company and are stuck with a faulty product. So far his experience has not been such - long term loaner issued - factory new AT being installed at no cost etc.

Mention lemon law and you can expect Subaru dropping you like your infected with Herpes which case make sure you have a lawyer ready when you talk Lemon Law.
Great point actually, I suppose unless you are prepared for resistance and the possibility of a less than favorable situation, might be best to not bring it up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm definitely NOT mentioning the Lemon Law. I feel Subaru has been good about at least providing a comparable loaner vehicle and I haven't been even 1 second without transportation. My issue is really more about loss of confidence in both the vehicle and the service department. I'm starting to believe that a no-charge, no-deductible 100k warranty would ease my concerns and I honestly feel that would be fair to both me and Subaru. As far as me buying a 2nd Subaru for the fiancee in January, well, that is going to be an incredibly hard sales pitch for Subaru to accomplish.

The really sad thing about this whole affair is that Subaru is now a running joke in our office of over 80 employees and among all my cycling and soccer buddies, family and friends in general. They all know I'm still in a loaner after 2+ months and they all know I bought the new Subaru in June. Comments have ranged from "I thought Subarus were supposed to be good" to "Guess you should have stayed with Mazda"

Oh well, hopefully the car gets fixed and all those people can go back to JUST making fun of me for owning a wagon :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
this incredible inconvenience
Assuming they gave you another Outback as a loaner, where is the inconvenience? As others have said, your car will have several thousand miles less on it, which will save you hundreds of dollars on parts and service, and maybe help the resale value.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm definitely NOT mentioning the Lemon Law. I feel Subaru has been good about at least providing a comparable loaner vehicle and I haven't been even 1 second without transportation. My issue is really more about loss of confidence in both the vehicle and the service department. I'm starting to believe that a no-charge, no-deductible 100k warranty would ease my concerns and I honestly feel that would be fair to both me and Subaru. As far as me buying a 2nd Subaru for the fiancee in January, well, that is going to be an incredibly hard sales pitch for Subaru to accomplish.

The really sad thing about this whole affair is that Subaru is now a running joke in our office of over 80 employees and among all my cycling and soccer buddies, family and friends in general. They all know I'm still in a loaner after 2+ months and they all know I bought the new Subaru in June. Comments have ranged from "I thought Subarus were supposed to be good" to "Guess you should have stayed with Mazda"

Oh well, hopefully the car gets fixed and all those people can go back to JUST making fun of me for owning a wagon :)
I have a huge family at one time it had Ford - GM products lots of them - today there are zero Fords - Zero GM's a bunch of Toyota's a many Subarus and even some early Hyundai's. Trust me Subaru has seen so much growth during the down times of the auto industry they aren't worried and continue to be very concerned about Customers and their products.

In the end its not the product but how the company treats people and Subaru has a long history of doing things right!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
22 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing