Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback. 3.6 R. Ice silver
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my '13 outback with 11k and so far they look great. So any other people with more mileage want to say how theirs are holding up. Thanks

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
25K one no longer could be rotated to the front due to being too far out of round causing lots of vibration on the front end vs being some what tolerable on the back. Every 8-9K they needed substantial weight change to balance. By 36K winter tread was marginal at best. 44K they were bald

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
I have about 30k on mine. They're ok for now, but I figure they'll need to be replaced before 40k..

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
I have about 30k on mine. They're ok for now, but I figure they'll need to be replaced before 40k..
Same for me... I'm guessing I'll need to replace tires later this year...

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
Same for me... I'm guessing I'll need to replace tires later this year...
Yeah, I may replace mine before any long road trips this summer.. We'll see how they're holding up at that point, though. :29:

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
I bought my 2010 as a cert used w/ 35.5k now 36.5k I have to assume the orig conti's are whats on it till this day and they have very good tread left still 50% or so anyway. I don't think the 1st set wore out and the same tires put on, doubtful. I expect they may see 50k although I always change tires long before there down to the wear bars.

·
Registered
2011 Outback limited 3.6
77 Posts
30k, great tread left, great ride, and out did my 4x4 silverado in all three 9in Kansas city snow storms this year, and it has all terrrain tires!! Very impressed by the all season conti pros, completely amazed by the Outback. I did not get stuck in the Silverado but i had to work at getting up our hill, foot to the floor throwing snow 10 ft in the air with all 4 tires. The outback went up the hill outside of the silverado tracks like it was on tank tracks. I think this car is a freaking alien!

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Mine went 40k. Uneven wear after 36k possibly caused by a strut failure and its effect on the alignment.

My new Defenders are smooth and I have noticed a mileage hit around town. Too early to give a legit report on the Defender XTs yet.

Can't say they are markedly better over the Contis when the contis were new, but I haven't taken them out of town yet. The Contis got worse quick after about 24k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very happy with mine

I just topped 50K with my 2011. I have rotated every 5K. They developed a bit of a vibration about 30k. I had the tires balanced, and the problem went away completely. It is amazing the different opinions that these tires receive. I was concerned that I would be able to make it through last winter. We had a very light first part of winter, then 3 major storms in March, and they still handled far better than I expected. I know that I will be able to make it to Oct or Nov this year. I would like to replace with the same tires, but so many have complained about them that I am leaning towards the Defenders.

AltaBrig - how much of a mileage hit did you take? Overall, are you still happy with the Defenders?

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
They are comfortable and have decent dry handling.

MPG hit seems to be about 2 around town and 1 on the highway.

19-22 down to 17-20mpg around town. 26-27 down to 25-26 on the Highway.

Could be the difference in diameter of the bald contis vs. the new Defenders that the Garmin and onboard computer don't take into account.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
They changed the Continental tire for the 2013 cars. However prior to that year all the cars came with the same continental. Ours at 25K no longer held balance beyond about 7000 miles, One tire was so far out of round it no longer could be rotated to the front or you had a great arm massage every time you drove.

At 32,000 they were more or less no longer road trip or foul weather safe. At 43,000 miles they were bald as Mr Clean's head. Replaced them with BFG Touring tires which have a very similar tread but are built WAY WAY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Better superior tire in every way.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
My '12 currently has about 38.5k.......The tires look like they will last until about 45k. I will likely change them sooner, before they get to the wear bars, because we have some trips planned, and we are heading into our monsoon season........I like some tread, in the wet, more than just legal.

Mine have been fine, all are still round, and they have not required rebalancing. I started rotating them at 5k intervals, with oil changes, but switched to 10k, every other change, since they did not seem to wear unevenly. Last rotation (At 35k) was likely their last......They will be off by shortly after 40k.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
I got 70k out of mine. A lot of people seem to dump the tires on here without giving them a fair shake. That is fine by me though since it makes the prices of barely used ContiPros really cheap and I like them well enough for 3 season tires (I'm now running my second set of slightly used ContiPros as of last month).

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I got 70k out of mine. A lot of people seem to dump the tires on here without giving them a fair shake. That is fine by me though since it makes the prices of barely used ContiPros really cheap and I like them well enough for 3 season tires (I'm now running my second set of slightly used ContiPros as of last month).
I would give you my take offs, but I guarantee you that they will be at the wear bars before they get to 45k.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
13 Posts
I had about 35K miles on the Conti Pros and ended getting a flat by going over a razor blade which made it unrepairable. They were getting fairly worn and I was planning on replacing them before next winter but because of the flat, I replaced all 4 with Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. See how that goes.

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
45K with quite a ways to go.
I have not had any problems, except:
Small stones get trapped into the tread and this is not doing these tires any good.
I have actually taken a small screwdriver and removed these many stones the last time in switched tires around. They are causing minor damage and could cause a flat as the tires get less tread. My driveway is about 1/2 mile long and is not paved. All stones dont come out with high speed driving.
Bad design!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,346 Posts
1200 miles, then I got rid of the shipping tires. ;)

·
Registered
1997 SVX Bordeaux 2012 OBW 6 speed 1992 SVX Ebony 1992 SVX Claret
1,186 Posts
1200 miles, then I got rid of the shipping tires. ;)
Under 300 miles for the ones off my 2012. I got $900.00 for the alloy wheels and tires.
Shipping tires, I like that.:cool: That's going into my vocabulary for sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts