Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how long it will be before this new gen 5 forum thread has more readers/posters than the old gen 4 forum thread...:gasp: right now the gen 4 thread has hundreds of readers/posters...but how long can that last with the new model on the horizon?

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Interesting to watch the evolution of the type of threds too. At first it's all about floor mats and optipn packages. Eventually it turns into a true fixit forum, all broken tranmissions, electrical gremlins. Gen 4 is still mostly options and floormats. Older Gens are almost totally about repairs.

Coming from VW TDI club, I was shocked at the slowness of these forums to make the evolution. VW's '09+ forums turned over to repairs a lot quicker. It shows the quality of Subaru in general.

But don't get me started on the Honda forums. At least 5 years ago, it was all floormats, no repairs anywhere. Boring. I like the fixing stuff, new solutions to problems that spring up here, totally circumventing and improving on how the Factory manual says we should fix stuff.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting to watch the evolution of the typ of threds too. At first its all about floor mats and optipn packages. Eventually it turns into a true fixit forum, all broken tranmissions, electrical gremlins. Gen 4 is still mostly options and floormats. Older Gens are almost totally about repairs.

Coming from VW TDI club, I was shocked at the slowness of theSe forums to make the evolution. VW's '09+ forums turned over to repairs a lot quicker. It shows the quality of Subaru in general.

But don't gete started on the Honda forums. At least 5 years ago, it was all floormats, no repairs anywhere. Boring. I like the fixing stuff, new solutions to problems that spring up here, totally circumventing and improving on how the Factory manual says we shod fix stuff.
...interesting observation. I have read this forum for the better part of the last 4 years and have garnered a lot of good info. I hope it is many more years before I start having to find major repair info here. :29:

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
Interesting to watch the evolution of the typ of threds too. At first its all about floor mats and optipn packages. Eventually it turns into a true fixit forum, all broken tranmissions, electrical gremlins. Gen 4 is still mostly options and floormats. Older Gens are almost totally about repairs.

Coming from VW TDI club, I was shocked at the slowness of theSe forums to make the evolution. VW's '09+ forums turned over to repairs a lot quicker. It shows the quality of Subaru in general.

But don't gete started on the Honda forums. At least 5 years ago, it was all floormats, no repairs anywhere. Boring. I like the fixing stuff, new solutions to problems that spring up here, totally circumventing and improving on how the Factory manual says we shod fix stuff.
Shame the German autos suffer from such issues cause I know I would have really loved to own an Avant A6 Tuner of some sort. Sadly it would be at a steep cost.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,344 Posts

But what about mods?:creeplook

We got mods too!:spend::dance2:

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
But what about mods?:creeplook

We got mods too!:spend::dance2:
Mods are their own thing, and for the most part, don't interest me at all. Once in a while a totally functional mod I find useful, but I see that as a repair alternative (RSB upgrade, my headlight hatch). Aesthetic mods, lighting kits, wheels, trim, are a waste of time IMO. More power to you, I respect the effort, and even sometimes wish I could justify it for me, but I have a 100 yr old house that has actual needs, a tent trAiler with a deer sized hole in the front, and an 86 Landcruiser that needs many weekends of my time. LED cupholder light kit? Really?

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Wonder how long before it has a headgasket thread too?

As long as Subaru has the 2.5 it is a issue. Maybe they can go back to the 2.2 someday and not have the issue like the old days.

·
Registered
534 Posts
How so? I thought the headgasket issues were resolved with the new 2.5L in 2010?
Seems to be solved in my opinion. But all cars will have an occasional HG failure, and with Subaru's history, people will be overly sensitive to any HG problem and make a stink about it.

I think this is good, actually, so we can confirm the issue is really resolved. I found a leak in my HG at 19K miles, but it appeared and dried up in one 1000mi interval. I think its a fluke, not any more HG problems reported here than for any other brand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts