Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 A
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 OB Wag's back-up lights aren't that bright. Does anyone know how to make them brighter?

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
i installed fog lights under the rear bumper . The relay switch for them is hooked up to the backup light wire. Works great!

·
Registered
2002 WRX MBP
1,105 Posts
lukeg199 said:
i installed fog lights under the rear bumper . The relay switch for them is hooked up to the backup light wire. Works great!
I've considered that in the past. Haven't had the Outback long enough to decide if I want to do it, but I've got plenty of cheapie fog lights laying around, I could easily do it..........

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
lukeg199 said:
That's also something I've been thinking of doing for a while. Out here in the woods it can be really challenging to back-up in the dark and they changed the light bulbs ont he 05 Outback so there is no higher power replacement available (already checked with Stern)..

I was thinking of getting some relatively cheap but very small foglights to do it. So it was easy to tap into the rear brake light wire? I think the connector for the trailer hitch is already in the back, should be easy to tap into if I can find it.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,263 Posts
halogen bu lamps

Subysolutions.com has halogen bu lamps , 50w replaces 1156 or 1073 lamps about 15.95 pair.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
I have a pair of these lamps I might throw on the Subaru (for backup and camping).

Add some bad weather and the stock backup lights do not cut it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There was some talk at legacygt.com about the JDM Subaru's having LED Backup Lights. There might be some guys over there that have explored it further

·
Outback onsight...
1,263 Posts
bu lamps

Boxxerace said:
I have a pair of these lamps I might throw on the Subaru (for backup and camping).

Add some bad weather and the stock backup lights do not cut it.

I was thinkin' of doing the same thing with a Hella ff75 fog lamp mounted on my rear overhead x-bar with an overhead toggle at the sunglass holder/interior light console(overhead).

Otherwise a cutout in the bumper itself (inset) . However, I cringe at cutting my bumper up....

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
You, SCOOBY, are afraid to cut up your bumper? WHATEVA'!

·
Outback onsight...
1,263 Posts
just ordered

I just ordered a set of halogen bu lamps (1156) from Safedrives.com for 13.95 pair. I'll post pics and followup soon.

Boxxerace....not gonna cut it(bumper) I'd rather replace it with a mudrat baja bumper!:D

·
Registered
02 LMT outback, homemade CAI,hella 500's, piaa 520's,and Borla Header
517 Posts
any idea of where the closest wire that goes to the back up lights is located on the 2nd gens? i didnt want to have to run one all the way up to the hatch if possible!- thanks

·
Registered
1996 OB 2.2 ??
53 Posts
halogen BU lights?

Hmmmm,,, so can
anyone comment on how much brighter
and better it is with these halogen
BU lights? My 96 came with really
sexy dark tinted windows, but backing up at night is quite impossible,, possibly
dangerous. I've ordered a catalogue
from ipd, but am curious if I can get these from anywhere,, I.E: Canadian Tire, or ????

Thanks for your imput,,
golly there is some great info in here.

:6:

·
Registered
1996 OB 2.2 ??
53 Posts
back up lights

Hey guys!

I need help with my wagon. '96 came with dark tinted
windows,, I'm still having major problems with the
back-up lighting situation.

Can anyone report on how the halogens work?
I'm interested in doing the fog light thing, but would love
to do the easy way first if it might work.

Please please teach!

Thanks
dave

·
Registered
'97 Outback 2.5L, winter package, 6000k HID, custom K&N CAI, Yakima Rack, Hella 500 fogs, custom short shift, Stainless headers, Hella Supertones, WRX seats, 16" Rotas
405 Posts
just thought i'd put my two cent for installing a set of fogs in the rear bumper. i did it and have been really pleased with the results. however, instead of wiring them directly into the reverse light i put them on a independent switch so i can use them with the car parked for loading/unloading, doing stuff behind the car, etc. a few pics are posted in my gallery if any one is interested. that's all.

·
Registered
1997 Outback
359 Posts
rainieroutback said:
a few pics are posted in my gallery if any one is interested. that's all.
I've been having the same problem, and have thought of many places to put them, but never in that lower black part. I love the idea. Any chance you could take a more up close shot with the lights off, I wanna see exactly how your cutouts are. I'm strongly considering doing this now.

·
Registered
'97 Outback 2.5L, winter package, 6000k HID, custom K&N CAI, Yakima Rack, Hella 500 fogs, custom short shift, Stainless headers, Hella Supertones, WRX seats, 16" Rotas
405 Posts
yeah, i'd be glad to. i've been meaning to post some more pics anyway, so i'll get some more up there. i may even have some already taken, if not i'll take some tomorrow when it's light and post. it was a little nerve racking cutting into the bumper but it went fairly smoothly and was really a pretty easy install. let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1996 OB 2.2 ??
53 Posts
rear lights

Raineroutback,,

Thanks!

I look forward to seeing more details,, closeups of closeups!
I guess this is the way to go! It's cold as heck here in ontario
right now,, but as soon as I can I'll do it.
Any hints as to how to wire the thing in?

I'm a carpenter, so don't mind cutting stuff, and am handy
with wires,, but any tutorials are appreciated!

thanks,
dave
:7:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts