Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Outback 2.5
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about picking up a 2015 Outback with 51k miles, but the biggest thing giving me concern is the oil consumption issue. I really don't want to drop 20k on a car that uses a significant amount of oil. My old Outback did that for 1/10th the price! :grin2:

Anyway, it seems like a perfect fit for my family's needs, I just am getting cold feet about the oil issue. Is it a common thing? Is the fix a new engine or engine teardown to replace rings?

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
Very very few. I would say on this forum maybe 1or 2 posters have had any high oil consumption. Also, we do not know was it owners problem or Manufacturing since the manual states the importance of following the Break in procedure.
It also covered under standard warranty. The issue with the rings have been solved with the latest Gen6 Legacy and equivalent Gen 5
Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
I am telling friends/ family to wait until fall when the 2016s come back off lease in quantity. = no engine / cvt issues.

maybe test drive the 2015s but not buy them.

keeping in mind. if out looking for a 2015 with 33,000 miles on it,...I would think the customer is out to keep it past the 100,000 mile limit on the engine / cvt extended warranty. and I wonder what the price of a factory rebuilt cvt will be after 7/31/18.

edit: whoops, CVT extended warranty. for all 2015

oil problems were only in foresters/crosstrek/impreza manuals for 2015.
as per
https://subaru.oemdtc.com/80/engine-oil-consumption-2013-2015-subaru

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
FWIW, at 22,000 miles of loving care, my 2015 burns or losses nada.....I probably lose more when I check the oil and wipe the dipstick.......seriously.

I was very anal when I broke the car in and I think I'm past the critical period BUT time will tell...........

It IS a fact that the newer the model of car, the less the chance that you'll run into what seems to have been a systemic problem later..........

Steve

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,727 Posts
Thinking about picking up a 2015 Outback with 51k miles, but the biggest thing giving me concern is the oil consumption issue.
That Outback's engine will still be covered by the original 5 year/60,000 mile drive train warranty, so you should have recourse in the unlikely case there is a problem. I would not hesitate to buy a clean used 2015 with a well-documented service history.

I really don't want to drop 20k on a car that uses a significant amount of oil.
What do you consider "significant"? The amount of oil consumed by our 2016 Outback 2.5 (~24,000 miles) between 6,000 mile changes is barely measurable. On the other hand, our 2015 Legacy 2.5 (~36,000 miles) uses a quart of oil every 4 to 5 thousand miles, and I'm OK with that. YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Thinking about picking up a 2015 Outback with 51k miles, but the biggest thing giving me concern is the oil consumption issue. I really don't want to drop 20k on a car that uses a significant amount of oil. My old Outback did that for 1/10th the price! :grin2:

Anyway, it seems like a perfect fit for my family's needs, I just am getting cold feet about the oil issue. Is it a common thing? Is the fix a new engine or engine teardown to replace rings?
Pretty much a fixed issue. We recently had someone in who was complaining about the oil consumption issue with a 2015. They were really upset about it, too. Had their receipt from where they'd gone in two weeks prior to (a nationally known 3rd party oil change shop) and suddenly their car was losing oil.

Does help with preventing oil consumption if the mechanic who did the oil change had actually tightened the oil drain plug when he put it back in ...

In any given brand - not just Subaru - you're going to find some people that have issues. But I would have no issues with a 2015. If we HAD issues, as many of them as I've sold, I would have heard about it from one of my customers. Biggest thing they don't like is that there was an Eyesight improvement a couple of years in (adding lane keep) and they want that (and the new head units on the 2018's).

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thumb up for 3.6R

My 3.6 is fantastic on oil. I use semi-syn and I just changed the oil at 5900 mi and never had to add any since the last change.

Reactions: George-Mi-Az

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Most modern engines shouldn't burn oil unless they're abused or not broken in properly

My LS3 didn't burn a drop and I beat the dog crap out of it for 76,000 miles before trading it in for my OB. I grew up in the church of the small block chevy, and let me tell you those modern LS's were some of the first to not have wide spread oil consumption issues if broken in correctly. Every GM product my dad has ever owned pre 2000's has burned oil, and even then both my mothers northstar Caddys drank oil.

So I'm not too concerned with a 175 hp 4 cylinder with a healthy displacement size.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
My understanding is that the Subaru reputation for oil use dates to prior generations of their cars. As others have noted, there have been very few complaints about this issue with the Gen 5 models from 2015 on.

I've got a 2015 Ltd 2.5 with 42,000+ miles and it hasn't used ANY oil in between services. Just finished an 1,800 mile road trip last week and it had just as much oil at the end as at the start (though do have to take it in for the scheduled 6K service.)

It's a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
2015 Outback
3 Posts
My 2015 Ob with 21k has been just fine. My wife drives it most of the time so I check it frequently. Oil levels have been perfect and still clean looking at 6k, unlike my 99VW Eurovan camper that I have to add 1q every 500 miles-1k and change every 3-4k.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
41k on my '15 3.6R and not a single oil issue. Don't hear much about it really with the gen 5.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
543 Posts
2015 Limited 2.5i. No oil burning or use issues at 28,500, oil always at top of dipstick True also of my 2010 2.5i.
But an Minor oil LEAK was discovered on the '15 when oil changed at 24,000. No obvious signs of a leak such as low level, oil on undercarriage or where car was parked regularly. Frankly, I considered it a non issue. But my dealer was quite insistent that it be correct. Honestly, I wasn't sure I want to have the engine jerked and torn into to repair a problem that I pretty much considered a non issue. The dealer insisted that the mechanics that would do the work were experienced with such things and it was no big deal. So at 28K the engine came out. Final diagnosis was a bad "cam follower gasket (what ever the heck that is). So far so good 1,500 miles later.

Gotta confess I felt like the guy in this song" My Car's Goin' Under The Wrench" www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_jkatr32kw

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
Picking up the conversation from another thread.

I would skip 2015 that glut the dealers now. (CVT / engine problems,
Not to derail the topic, but what engine problems? And, for that matter, what CVT problems?

...with a extended warranty to just 100,000 miles due to the problems.....so what if you have a issue at 100,001 miles?)
Probably the same as if you had an issue 1 mile after any other warranty expired.
extended warranty instead of recall.

2011-15 FB25B, and FB20B engines. oil consumption.

(. getting new cylinder liners, or new / remand short blocks,).

so if you have such a car, carefully watch the oil dipstick and report to subaru any consumption problems. and read the extended warranty paperwork/ guidelines
Your advice about watching the dipstick is good general advice for any car.

The extended warranty notice I received covers only the CVT. It doesn't say squat about the engine, and, of course, nothing about oil consumption. I just looked at it again.

and in the near future what is subaru going to want for the short blocks, and the factory reman CVTs.?
when all the cars have 130,000 on them.

(maybe lots will have a "double whammy" and no one can pay to fix them,..
..like a 1998 EJ25D today,...mint in the junk yard but for the melted turd engine).
Who knows? There are no sure things except death and taxes.

It just doesn't seem like there are many Gen-5 oil-consumption complaints showing up here (yet). This thread is explicitly asking about that issue on 2015's and has elicited exactly one post mentioning oil loss that needed tending to, and the author of that post is OK with what he's seeing, and another that called out a mechanic's error not the fault of the engine.

One thing we can be sure of is that people will complain, and complain loudly, if they think something is wrong (OK... that's the other exception to "no sure things"). Just look at all the battery and 2018 head-unit threads there are. Where are all of the 2015 oil-consumption issues?

My own experience is that I watch the oil level, and, with one exception, in 51,000 miles the level has never dropped below midway between full and low between 6,000-mile oil changes. The exception was after an almost 3,000-mile trip mostly on interstate highways with 75 and 80-MPH speed limits, the oil level was just above the fill line when it was due to be changed, and that was two oil changes ago, so I'm considering that to be an anomaly, perhaps due to extended very high-speed driving. IOW, I haven't had to add a drop between scheduled changes yet (knock wood).

I'm expecting to repeat that high-speed trip to Montana this summer, but it looks like the 6,000-mile service will be due about the middle of it (unless I do a lot, or no, driving between now and late July). We'll see what the situation is when it happens.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
Picking up the conversation from another thread.

Your advice about watching the dipstick is good general advice for any car.

The extended warranty notice I received covers only the CVT. It doesn't say squat about the engine, and, of course, nothing about oil consumption. I just looked at it again.

separate paper on the extended warranty for the FB25B engines,

and maybe yours was produced with a engine out of the suspected range of them....and you lucked out.

____

some people here think 5w30 is the right engine oil for such. (vs. the 0w20 that the factory put in).

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
separate paper on the extended warranty for the FB25B engines ...
Link or citation, please? The CVT warranty extension is addressed in TSB 16-107-17, but I can't find a corresponding TSB for MY 2015 FB25 engines.

... and maybe yours was produced with a engine out of the suspected range of them....and you lucked out.
... or perhaps your concern is overstated.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
Link or citation, please? The CVT warranty extension is addressed in TSB 16-107-17, but I can't find a corresponding TSB for MY 2015 FB25 engines.

... or perhaps your concern is overstated.
my mistake, it appears subaru did not ship any problem engines to the US plant for model year 2015.

the cars in question were manual trans 2015 Foresters, Crosstreks, and Impreza. (and none of those were made at SIA in that year)

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/80/engine-oil-consumption-2013-2015-subaru

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
it appears subaru did not ship any problem engines to the US plant for model year 2015.
Thanks for the update, and the link to the TSB. It appears that FB25s in Legacys and Outbacks with CVTs were only affected through the mid-MY 2013.

Reactions: TheRealToddster
1 - 19 of 19 Posts