Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - I've got a 2011 Outback, I need to get a few bike trays. Not sure if it will be Yakima or Thule, but, leaning a bit toward Yakima.

Anyway, how many bikes can we fit on the roof with the stock load bars? I was wondering if we might be able to get 3 (two forward facing with a rear facing in the middle)? Or, would I need to get a wider crossbar to support three bikes?

Thanks for the help,
Mark

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
You can fit 3, but the stock cross bars are absolutely terrible... Mine were so flexy that the rack hit my roof when I was pulling into a driveway at an angle. I use the Yakima Frontloader. Super easy to take on and off, but still super secure when paired with the locking cores.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
520 Posts
Dependent on the aftermarket cross bar width. Go look at pictures of the support cars for the Tour de France and other Pro Cycling races, they cram 6 or more frames on the roof. I could easily put 3 on my 50" Thule bars, and had room for a 4th, using fork mount trays. Typically you stagger, two facing front, two facing rear, wheels in the vehicle.

Agree with Connor, the OEM bars suck and the Yak Frontloader is a great bike rack and very well designed, not too expensive either, works well with a carbon frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts