Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you bikers out there, how many bikes can fit on the roof? I am exploring options and not sure what to do? I have the MEGAWARRIOR basket and was thinking of BOA mounts. I have two adult and two kid bikes. I have also looked at the Subaru bike mount that leaves the tires on but not sure if you can get 4 of those up there? Also, am I pushing it for weight trying 4 bikes if I use the roof basket?

I don't want to order a bunch of stuff and do trial and error. I would rather just see what some of you have done. Thanks.

Two adult mountain bikes so they are heavier than my race bike. Can't remember the weights on any of them though. I guess the simple thing for me to do would be weigh them, just want to know if all 4 would fit up there if I staggered them front and rears or if the kid bikes squeeze in between? Also, will kids bikes even make it in those BOA attachments?? Not long enough frames?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the OEM Subaru rack, so it's the same as your Mega Warrior. I have 3 Thule Peleton mounts and have stuffed 3 bikes on the roof in this configuration. That's pretty much the limit because of the width of the rack. You 'may' be able to get the kids bikes up there, depending on the size, but you definitely won't be able to do 4 adults.

As far as the Boas I'm not sure the kids bikes will fit on there. Maybe if you mount them to the smaller rungs of the basket, as opposed to the large crossbars you'll be able to shorten them and stagger them enough to fit the kids bikes. You could try just laying one down in the basket and toss the other one in the cargo area.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
as they say width is what matters not length

Get the yakima landing pad feet and pick up a set of bars wide enough to do what you want to do.

I run 54 inch bars when I put two bikes plus our narrow roof box tight fit but it works. When I run either the canoe + bikes or 4+ bikes or Canoe with roof box I put the 66 inch bars up top. 54 inch bars will fit 4 mt bikes facing opposite directions and very tightly packed.

The basket limits your options greatly if you need to haul wood and a chainsaw and don't want it in the car then the basket makes sense

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
unsub1
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing