Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my wife's Outback and the dash said I could go 100 miles until I ran out of gas. The gauge said 1/4 full.
I drove it 50 miles and when I got home that night, it said 70 miles remaining and the dash light came on.
The next day I drove it another 18 miles and then put gas in it and it took 17.1 gallons. I went a total of 485 miles on the tank.
I was really sweating it but I guess I still had 1.4 gallons left.

What is the most you put in your Outback?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
208 Posts
I ran 596.3 miles on a road trip and filled it. **** near 18.5 gallons if I recall correctly. I wanted to make it to 600, but that would have had me pass the last gas station for quite a few miles and my wife and I didn't want to risk it. Normally I hit the 1/8th marker on the gauge and fill it. Generally between 16.5 and 17.5 gallons.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
For us not psychic types, which particular horseless carriage we discussing here?

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,995 Posts
Shamefully, I have done 18gal... It's never a good idea to let any vehicle get that low. Why? Because when temperatures change from day to night, especially in the winter, condensation builds like crazy in a tank less than half full, and even worse the lower the level gets.
Also, when the tank gets that low, the agitation of the gas stirs up contaminants that have settled at the bottom of the tank, which could cause premature failure of your fuel filter.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
For us not psychic types, which particular horseless carriage we discussing here?
I have moved 2x half kegs of beer with my 3.0 2002 wagon. so that is 31 gallons as per
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keg#Specifications_for_a_U.S._1/2_barrel_keg

happy I did not get hit or wreck at the time, as I just had them cabled into the plastic D rings.

________

on the 17.3 gallon gas tank the last 1.3 gallons is like impossible to use.
light pops on and if you stop right away you might get 14.3 gallons in.
(no miles to empty poorly programmed computer wild ass guessing,...just a plain old idiot light).

number of times I have ever run a car out of gas in 25 years = zero. (never owned a vehicle with a miles to empty read out).

driven pickup trucks with single 32 gallon tanks and had the idiot light pop on when there was still 6 gallons to go though.

_______

but this seems like a gen5. and looking back through the op's posts its a 2017 2.5
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...our-fuel-mileage-post5434017.html#post5434017

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,358 Posts
I fueled up my truck at work today. The gauge showed about 3/8 of a tank left and it took 943 gallons. Added 3.5 gallons of oil to the engine as well.

The Outback generally doesn't take much more than 10 gallons or so when I fill it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
I fueled up my truck at work today. The gauge showed about 3/8 of a tank left and it took 943 gallons. Added 3.5 gallons of oil to the engine as well.

The Outback generally doesn't take much more than 10 gallons or so when I fill it.
so the tanks take a total of 2500 gallons? what kind of truck is that. (pics....= fuel oil delivery truck? )

on the big diesel truck pumps how long does it take to pump that kind of volume? (how long did it take today). or does the fuel just gravity drain in from a tank that is higher off the ground.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
so the tanks take a total of 2500 gallons? what kind of truck is that. (pics....= fuel oil delivery truck? )

on the big diesel truck pumps how long does it take to pump that kind of volume? (how long did it take today). or does the fuel just gravity drain in from a tank that is higher off the ground.
The math wouldn't work out to 2500 gallons. Closer to 1500 if my algebra skills aren't too rusty. But I think it actually holds 1400 gallons. The low fuel light comes on somewhere in the ballpark of 200 gallons remaining.

It probably took about 20 minutes or so to fill today. They put in high volume pumps in the last year or so. Prior to that it would have been around 45 minutes. Most of the trucks get refueled with around 1,000 gallons roughly every 22 to 26 hours.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
The math wouldn't work out to 2500 gallons. Closer to 1500 if my algebra skills aren't too rusty. But I think it actually holds 1400 gallons. The low fuel light comes on somewhere in the ballpark of 200 gallons remaining.

It probably took about 20 minutes or so to fill today. They put in high volume pumps in the last year or so. Prior to that it would have been around 45 minutes. Most of the trucks get refueled with around 1,000 gallons roughly every 22 to 26 hours.
what do those haul in Michigan?

(sand from a drag line ? rocks from a quarry? )

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
what do those haul in Michigan?

(sand from a drag line ? rocks from a quarry? )
Iron mine. Hauling either waste rock to the dumps or ore to the crusher. 320-ton truck. 16 cylinder Detroit Diesel spinning a generator that powers two electric wheel motors in the back.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,536 Posts
I fueled up my truck at work today. The gauge showed about 3/8 of a tank left and it took 943 gallons.
The math wouldn't work out to 2500 gallons. Closer to 1500 if my algebra skills aren't too rusty. But I think it actually holds 1400 gallons.
eagleeye might want to get some of this stuff for his algebra. ;)

(1 - (3/8)) Q = 943 gallons

where Q is tank capacity, 3/8 is the fraction of the tank with fuel remaining, so (1 - (3/8)) is the fraction of the tank that needs to be filled.

(5/8) Q = 943 gal.

Q = (8/5) 943 gal

Q = 1,508 gallons.

I suspect eagleeye forgot to subtract the remaining fraction from one, so he calculated:

(8/3) 943 gal = 2,514 gal.

Oops... I made that mistake the first time I ran through this, too!

[Edit to add:] That stuff works great(!) if you can immerse rusty parts in it!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
eagleeye might want to get some of this stuff for his algebra. ;)

(1 - (3/8)) Q = 943 gallons

where Q is tank capacity, 3/8 is the fraction of the tank with fuel remaining, so (1 - (3/8)) is the fraction of the tank that needs to be filled.

(5/8) Q = 943 gal.

Q = (8/5) 943 gal

Q = 1,508 gallons.

I suspect eagleeye forgot to subtract the remaining fraction from one, so he calculated:

(8/3) 943 gal = 2,514 gal.

Oops... I made that mistake the first time I ran through this, too!

[Edit to add:] That stuff works great(!) if you can immerse rusty parts in it!
actually I had 943 / .375 for = 2514.

I stop drinking coffee at noon. ...so that's a couple hours without caffeine. (statistically called = "banker screw up time").

Reactions: skipw

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,773 Posts
I have done about 750 km on a tank...all highway driving...that’s about 450 miles...ish....that is topping off the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,765 Posts
Iron mine. Hauling either waste rock to the dumps or ore to the crusher. 320-ton truck. 16 cylinder Detroit Diesel spinning a generator that powers two electric wheel motors in the back.
So it's only 2WD?

I have this picture in my head - you get that big rig bogged down in some sand, and you use your OB to pull it out - after all, it comes equipped with AWD! Subaru did something like this in their original 1990 ads shot in the Australian outback - truck driver gets stuck with a load of Outbacks in the outback, and simply unloads one of the Outbacks and uses it to pull his large rig out.

OK, it's not going to happen that way, I know. But it would still make a good picture for the forum. Come on, let's see it!

Then we get to pick the caption for the photo.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
So it's only 2WD?

I have this picture in my head - you get that big rig bogged down in some sand, and you use your OB to pull it out - after all, it comes equipped with AWD! Subaru did something like this in their original 1990 ads shot in the Australian outback - truck driver gets stuck with a load of Outbacks in the outback, and simply unloads one of the Outbacks and uses it to pull his large rig out.

OK, it's not going to happen that way, I know. But it would still make a good picture for the forum. Come on, let's see it!

Then we get to pick the caption for the photo.
Best I can do is this:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
Best I can do is this:

[/url]
Geo Prism there. (rebadged Toyota carolla, ...probably made in the Chevy /toyota joint operated Nova plant near SanDiego.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts