Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a free inspection at a thousand miles to make sure everything is breaking in properly, but after that it's an hour drive to the nearest Scooby dealer so I'm planning on doing a lot of the work myself as I did with every car I've owned.

The dealer told me me doing my own work won't void any warranties, abuse will, which is about what I thought, but my wifes old Honda dealer tried to beat us up over me doing our own oil changes. They charged $70 for a freaking 3 quart oil change with a filter, and personally I found the service dept to be full of liars. Not saying Subaru dealers aren't better, my initial impressions is the one in Johnson City is good to their customers, but I digress.

I can get Subaru 0w20 synthetic on Amazon with a filter/crush washer for $55 and that'll definitely be easier than driving an hour 1 way to pay that much just to have someone else change it. It's a little more expensive than just getting Mobil 1 but it's definitely not as expensive as the "Honda" branded 0w20 which was something like $15 a quart on Amazon at one point.

I assume this car is fairly easy to do basic things on, considering ground clearance and such.

·
Read Only
451 Posts
I never once paid for an oil change. I do it myself. I know what I am putting in, I buy OEM filters. Its cheaper and more convenient. Bottom line: you have know idea what they do to your car when they bring it in the service area away from customer eyes.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
Just traded my 2013 Outback for a new 2018. I'm no wrench....don't enjoy working on cars at all, but oil changes on the Outback have to be the most simple ever. I had a Fumoto valve in the old car and will likely put it on the new one. Dealership is way overpriced and I don't trust the quick change joints. I too use OEM filters.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I wouldn't baother with Subaru synthetic oil when you can buy a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $26. My first 4 oil changes and tire rotations were free in the region of the USA where I bought my Subaru. I'll change it myself once I've finished those 4 free ones. The local Autozone 3 blocks away takes my used oil.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just traded my 2013 Outback for a new 2018. I'm no wrench....don't enjoy working on cars at all, but oil changes on the Outback have to be the most simple ever. I had a Fumoto valve in the old car and will likely put it on the new one. Dealership is way overpriced and I don't trust the quick change joints. I too use OEM filters.
That's another question

Why is everyone using this valve and what's the benefit

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
Why is everyone using this valve and what's the benefit
Convenience. Draining the oil sump is tool free, and it almost becomes a white-glove operation. Combined with the top-mounted oil filter, it's the easiest and cleanest oil change of any car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Convenience. Draining the oil sump is tool free, and it almost becomes a white-glove operation. Combined with the top-mounted oil filter, it's the easiest and cleanest oil change of any car I've ever owned.
So it makes it easier/cleaner to direct oil into the pan when draining the oil itself?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
So it makes it easier/cleaner to direct oil into the pan when draining the oil itself?
Yes. Most people buy a valve equipped with a hose nipple and attach a short drain hose for a splash-free, drip-free oil change experience.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
hopefully I won't have to do anything like it on the Subie, but 2 years ago I did a head gasket repair on my Toyota, saved at least $2500, but was also a nice sense of accomplishment, beat watching whatever crap they show on TV today

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I've done the vast majority of my own service for decades. But at my age I'm more likely to let someone else do all but the basic stuff. I'll still change the oil in my cars and my family's cars, and simple things like lights, but much more than that it goes somewhere else. I did do the brakes on my daughter's Routan last year. The last time I tore into an engine was about 8 years ago, with a Mitsubishi pickup diesel. Bought it non-running before I discovered how hard it was to get parts for that engine! :surprise:

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
I'm no mechanic by any stretch...but I try to be as be involved in the maintenance of my car as much as possible. The only things I haven't been involved with is brake fluid flush and spark plug change...mostly because of the time/tools involved to do those. Plus, gives a chance for the general Subaru inspection.

I think changing the oil yourself is important since one person can pay attention to the characteristics of the oil and know if there's a potential problem lurking in your car. (i.e. like it's suddenly consuming more oil between changes, or if the color/consistency changes).

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,520 Posts
All fluids, all electricals, all fuel system, everything in the interior, and minor to mid-level engine, chassis, and wheel work. But nothing deep inside the engine or needing specialized shop tools to disassemble/reassemble. And no body work.

It helps to have a good indy servicer who knows he will get the major work, and is agreeable to giving advice on anything less than that.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I do oil, filters, brakes. Oil because its quick and cheap. To have that done by a shop in my area typically takes 2hours or more in time to make the appointment, do the drop off and pick up. Vs 10-15min at home by me. Brakes I started doing many yrs ago after getting ripped off one to many times

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been doing all my own work for decades. I even change my own tires. Use a sliding hammer to break the beads. Spoon off one side, and pull the other side off by hand. Subaru rims are super easy to mount tires. You can just push the tire over the rims by hand. No spoons needed. Use balancing beads to balance them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.