Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to how many keys you should receive when picking up a new 2010-2013...

When we got our 2011 in 07/2011 we were only given 2 keys. One with the black base with the remote and one gray non-remote key. Salesman said that was all you get, but we could buy another remote key for a few hundred dollars.

I just accepted it as another Subaru oddity. Since my wife drives it 99.9% of the time, I didn't care. I just use her keys if I drive it.

BUT, tonight I had to use the car & grabbed the gray key. Once out, I discovered that you cannot use the gray key to disarm the alarm if you lock the car using the door lock button. So every time I unlocked it, the alarm went off and I had to dive in the seat and start the car to silence it. A serious PITA....

So, how many keys did you get ??

·
Registered
232 Posts
We got two with remote and one valet key with our 2013. We got the same number of keys with our 2003!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Curious as to how many keys you should receive when picking up a new 2010-2013...

When we got our 2011 in 07/2011 we were only given 2 keys. One with the black base with the remote and one gray non-remote key. Salesman said that was all you get, but we could buy another remote key for a few hundred dollars.

I just accepted it as another Subaru oddity. Since my wife drives it 99.9% of the time, I didn't care. I just use her keys if I drive it.

BUT, tonight I had to use the car & grabbed the gray key. Once out, I discovered that you cannot use the gray key to disarm the alarm if you lock the car using the door lock button. So every time I unlocked it, the alarm went off and I had to dive in the seat and start the car to silence it. A serious PITA....

So, how many keys did you get ??
I got 3 keys when I bought my outback, 2 black ones with a built in fob, and one gray valet key. Lost one of the keys a few months ago, it was $100 for a new key and $50 for programming. Another dealer quoted me $250 for a new key and programming, so it pays to call around if you want another key. Not sure why you didn't receive 2 black keys, that's not right.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
2 black + 1 gray with our 2011 Premium.

See Owner's Manual, page 2-2, below:

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the info.

+1 on our 3/11 2011. OP you got clipped. Sorry. ....
I got 3 keys when I bought my outback.......Not sure why you didn't receive 2 black keys, that's not right.
Figures.

Combine this new revelation with the horrible driving dynamics that we have to tolerate and ownership of this thing just gets better & better...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Go back there and give them an ear full, the dealership I was at, the salesman couldnt event tell me which outback we were test driving (6 cyl, or 4 cyl, CVT/Auto), I asked him is this a 4 cylinder with CVT he replies "yes", shortly after I say "boy this 3.6 cyl engine and automatic transmission are nice" he replies "yes they sure are". Getting to my point, that guy that you were dealing with probably isnt completely familiar with all the facts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Every car we've ever purchased, new or used = 2 keys (plus a valet key, if that is applicable to the particular car under discussion).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Once out, I discovered that you cannot use the gray key to disarm the alarm if you lock the car using the door lock button. So every time I unlocked it, the alarm went off and I had to dive in the seat and start the car to silence it. A serious PITA....
I know I encountered this once by trying to be quiet and keep by car from beeping so I went to manually unlock my car with the key in the lock (the key with the remote) only to have the car alarm go off.

Since it seems pretty well settled that everyone but the op gets 2 remote keys and 1 valet key, does anyone know what the behavior is of the car when locked with the valet key?

Will the alarm still go off when Mr. Valet takes your car from the fancy restaurant and parks your car in the available spaces of Shady-Mc-Shadsterville? Or, is the alarm disarmed when locked manually with the key?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Or just don't let anyone "valet" your car. Valets LOVE to race and pick-pocket your possessions. I will never let them "park" my car. Or you can leave the captain/manager a tip to keep it parked out front if only for a few hours.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Or just don't let anyone "valet" your car. Valets LOVE to race and pick-pocket your possessions. I will never let them "park" my car. Or you can leave the captain/manager a tip to keep it parked out front if only for a few hours.
So, you're confirming how my car works when I lock it manually then? I was posing a common situation to see if anyone knows how the car functions because it seems like the alarm would be disabled if you do not use the remote.

I do not think I have ever used a valet service, but I also don't think that most places that have valets would risk tarnishing their reputation by keeping valets who steal on the job after one incident. I certainly wouldn't leave anything I couldn't risk parting with in the car if I were planning to use a valet. I'm sure that valets dream of the opportunity to drag race an Outback into a parking space though.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
There is no door/Ign difference between master/valet key. The alarm is on when the doors are locked, and there is no link between the mechanical door and the electronic alarm (thereby triggering the alarm).
Yes you would think the Master Key defeats all, especially when last I checked batts (remote) don’t last forever.<O:p

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I know I encountered this once by trying to be quiet and keep by car from beeping so I went to manually unlock my car with the key in the lock (the key with the remote) only to have the car alarm go off.

Since it seems pretty well settled that everyone but the op gets 2 remote keys and 1 valet key, does anyone know what the behavior is of the car when locked with the valet key?

Will the alarm still go off when Mr. Valet takes your car from the fancy restaurant and parks your car in the available spaces of Shady-Mc-Shadsterville? Or, is the alarm disarmed when locked manually with the key?
As I understand it, when the car is locked with the remote it must be unlocked with the remote to avoid an alarm. When locked manually the security system is still set, but unlocking with a key will not set off the alarm. Therefore when the Valet locks with the valet key, problem averted.

As to the OP, I'd go back to the dealer and talk directly to the owner/general manager and explain that you only got 2 keys (1 remote/ 1 valet). See what they say. If they insist you have to pay for the 3rd I'd just let them know you'll be calling SOA to resolve this. Then be sure to let SOA know what that they have a shady dealer.

I've owned 3 new Subarus for 3 different dealers ('05 Impreza, '08 Legacy GT, '11 OB) and my parents have 2 Foresters and they all got 2 keys with remotes and 1 valet key for a total of 3 keys.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Valet key works in a goofy way. If you lock the car using your key fob ie button and the Valet guy unlocks your car using the key in the door - but does not start the car up after 30 seconds or so the alarm will actually go off. I think the only way to disable the alarm is for the valet key to physically start the car at which point the alarm is disabled.

When you press the button on the standard key to unlock the car your disabling the alarm so no issues having the alarm go off if you haven't started the car fast enough to disable it.

I haven't tried it but suspect if you open the door with the normal key with the alarm activated it works the same way - you must start the car to disable the alarm. Or press the unlock button on the standard key to disable the alarm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
16 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing