Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Wife's Car - 2005 LL Bean Outback, Daughter's car - 2005 Impreza RS Sedan, Son's Car 2011 Outback 2.5 Premium
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Outback, had transmission replaced less than 30 days ago (there had been a problem with the front differential so they replaced the automatic transmission and front differential with a used one) Car had been sitting for almost 2 weeks. Saturday evening about 2 miles from the house going about 55 MPH up the highway, noticed a loss of power and then felt like the transmission was slipping, coasted to the next road off the highway and pulled over. Red transmission fluid coming out under the car. We then towed the car back to the house.

It appears that the hose going to the transmission cooler came apart -- it looks like the hose-clamp hadn't been tightened as it is aways down the hose. when the hose camp off the transmission was just pumping transmission fluid out onto the ground (and all over the underside of the car).

My question is -- Do you think that the transmission suffered damage?

Is it reasonable to ask the shop to come and get the car, clean the transmission fluid off the underside and after repairing it to extend the warranty from 90 days to 6 months or a year?

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
Well the shop had better come and fix the car and you should make sure that they check and see if the trans got messed up. Depending on what they say about damage I would ask about a warranty extension at least for another 90 days but I doubt they'll give you six months. I would probably ask another mechanic about the trans after they fix it just to be safe as well.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Saturday evening about 2 miles from the house going about 55 MPH up the highway, noticed a loss of power and then felt like the transmission was slipping, coasted to the next road off the highway and pulled over. Red transmission fluid coming out under the car. We then towed the car back to the house.
It all depends on how long the above took. If it was 3 minutes from detecting the problem to shutting down on the side of the road, you won't have anything to worry about. If it was 30, there could be trouble.

The tow is also worthy to note- if you did a proper flatbed tow, no concern. If you had wheels on the ground, there could be damage.

You should definitely lean on them for something. I also doubt they'd give a 6 month warranty but I could certainly see them restarting the 90-day period for when you next pick it up. I'm sure you'll come to a useful compromise with them.

·
Registered
Wife's Car - 2005 LL Bean Outback, Daughter's car - 2005 Impreza RS Sedan, Son's Car 2011 Outback 2.5 Premium
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was really short. as I could see the fluid on the road the next day From where it started until the care was pulled over was between 1/2 to 1 mile.

The tow home was ~2 miles. withthe wheels on the ground

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
In a breakdown emergency the car can tolerate a short, low speed tow with all 4 wheels down. The closer to walking speed the better. Towing it with only 2 down can roast up the AWD pretty quickly though.

From the way you're describing it, I doubt the pressure leak has triggered any further damage. I'd say it's on 100% on them to clean it, clamp it, fill it, test it and say a nice word or two. Warranty extensions, towing charges and more are up in the air for you to negotiate.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I towed it home with my truck at about 20 miles per hour.

the shop is sending a rig out to pick it up at my house (no Charge)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts