Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Subie Outback in Red, JDM motor
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a '99 Outback with the 2.5L 5spd with moonroof. The body is in great condition and the interior is spotless.

The motor, I'm told by my mechanic needs head gaskets, and has a split head between #'s 3 and 4.

How much can I expect to sell this car for?

Another question, how much would a 2.2 cost me and how much should I expect to pay if I keep this car?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

-Bud

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Well if you were being honest about engine condition maybe $3500? That's about what it'd go for here in WA.

2.2 swap depending on cost for the engine will run you around $1000-1600 if you did the work yourself.

My swap was about $1700 after a full re seal including machining the heads. But I spent $1000 on the engine from a junkyard from a 95 legacy with only 113k on it! Ones closer to the 200k range can be had on Craigslist for $700-900

If you're having a shop do it I'd guess closer to $2500.

·
Registered
99 Subie Outback in Red, JDM motor
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$3,500? ****, I'll sell it for $2k if I could! I listed it on craigslist for $1,700 but no buyers! I had a ton of people call and email, but nobody was interested in going thru with the deal. Sucks. I love this car, and seeing it in the driveway saddens me because it is in such good condition. It is what it is.

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
If you were in VT. It'd be a simple $400 engine swap.

But, if you were in VT. You'd be lucky to get $1,000 for it how it is now.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
wow. people LOVE subarus here in the NW! i was looking at 96-97's and nice ones at dealers are listed at $4-5500!!! the newer it goes the higher that goes. i found my 96 for $3600 and it had 180k on it. i could buy your car for $2500 and replace the engine and sell it and still make at least 1k.

funny how different regions like different cars. ANY subaru wagon up here lasts no longer than a week on craigslist. its kind of a joke to find one. took me 8 months. worth it! haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts