Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 2.5 Limited CVT with 89,924 miles. I drained the oil and if I really squint and hunt I can find shimmering specs. Not enough to feel with my fingertips and not enough to make a sludge or paste.

The obvious conclusion from gold flakes in the crankcase is bearing failure. I'm curious if the miniscule amount I can find is foreshadowing the inevitable failure of the bearing(s) or considered relatively normal engine wear?

Oil is Castrol Edge 0W-20 high mileage.

I do not have pictures as they are near impossible to easily see. Would a Blackstone Lab analysis be able to confirm or deny? The oil is in a used drain pan no so a sample would be compromised.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,041 Posts
I would collect an uncontaminated oil sample at the next oil change and send it off for analysis.

As for the current specs in the oil, I would not be too worried.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,847 Posts
Run the used oil through a fine cheese cloth strainer, or thick paper towel, and see what it grabs. There would also be flakes in the bottom of your container after you poor it through the strainer.

The thing with using a sample is if the container the oil is in wasn't clean clean then whatever was in there will be in the sample.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 5MT PSM /2020 Outback Onyx XT AGM
143 Posts
A uoa will be hit or miss since it detects wear particles of ~5 microns and smaller. Can’t hurt though. I’d take a sample from the engine instead of waiting for the next oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts