Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vibration in the wheel regardless of speed, but I have a significant vibration when braking, especially at faster speeds. I had the wheels road-force-balanced about a year ago with minimal change. Should I be considering a caliper or a rotor issue?

I haven't ever had an alignment done on the car, but I'd probably consider it the next time I get tires (about 1-2 years away)... The tires are all 6/32" in every tread (just checked them with a gauge...)

How does one check the caliper function? Should I replace the rubber boots when I do my brakes?

·
Registered
Outback 2006 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
453 Posts
Have you tried rotating tyres front to back, see if there's any change? One front might've thrown a weight since last it was balanced. Lug nuts tight?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried rotating tyres front to back, see if there's any change? One front might've thrown a weight since last it was balanced. Lug nuts tight?
Thanks. Lugs are good, problem has persisted through a few rotations. Anything obvious I could tell on the rotors or pads? I’m willing to take the tire off and check the pads.

·
Registered
Outback 2006 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
453 Posts
Sure. Once you get the wheel off, look at the brake pads for even wear. Uneven wear may indicate one pad is siezed in the caliper or the caliper pins are (siezed). Discolouration on the disc would probably mean a warped disc or stuck caliper. If it looks wrong it probably is. If you have a IR thermometer, do a temp test either side brakes after a run - if one side is appreciably hotter, that's likely the culprit.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure. Once you get the wheel off, look at the brake pads for even wear. Uneven wear may indicate one pad is siezed in the caliper or the caliper pins are (siezed). Discolouration on the disc would probably mean a warped disc or stuck caliper. If it looks wrong it probably is. If you have a IR thermometer, do a temp test either side brakes after a run - if one side is appreciably hotter, that's likely the culprit.
Sounds like a reason to go get an IR thermometer. Guess I’ll use the scissor jack since I don’t have a floor jack yet. (Costco free tire rotations delayed my doing that.)

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT (Alloy Wheel Package)
41 Posts
I agree with moving the front wheel/tires to the rear before you do anything.
In December 2017 my wife missed the entrance to a gas station and ran over a tall curb. We when left the gas station there was a bad shake at all speeds. I was 1,000 miles from home so I went to the closest Autozone and bought a 4 way lug wrench, an adjustable torque wrench (90 ft lbs) and a socket for it, the car's own jack worked fine. I rotated the front's to the back and drove 1,000 miles home, smooth as silk!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I quit using costco for tires a long time ago. Went through three tires and mutiple visits to fix a vibration in our VW. I was fed up went to Discount Tire no joke 3 minutes and the kid comes and gets me shows me the weight placement error costco made multiple times causing the vibration. 3 min later smooth as ICE for another 9 yrs! I switched to Discount tire for all my cars after that. Haven’t had a single vibration since.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,078 Posts
brake components may be sticking/dragging

Or, you may have 2 issues, vibration on braking can be uneven pad material deposition.

if you have good brake pad material left on the present pads, locate a section of roadway where you can safely do the following;

at about 30-40 mph, brake with the left foot while maintaining speed. You should feel the car straining. Not huge, emergency stop pressure, but enough to feel the car pulling against the brakes. Do that for 2-3 blocks - say - 1/8 mile. MOST IMPORTANT - now drive for a mile or so to cool the brakes - NO STOPPING. IF you MUST stop when doing this, hold the car with the emergency brake. Choose the road for this experiment carefully.

If there is improvement in the shaking when braking problem, you can do this again and see if it gets even smoother.

There are more intense brake bedding-in procedures, but this can help. If the problem is the same or gets worse, you likely will need new rotors, or you have a stuck caliper or other problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts