Subaru Outback Forums banner

How much of a shake are we talking?

3819 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  1 Lucky Texan
I have a vibration in the wheel regardless of speed, but I have a significant vibration when braking, especially at faster speeds. I had the wheels road-force-balanced about a year ago with minimal change. Should I be considering a caliper or a rotor issue?

I haven't ever had an alignment done on the car, but I'd probably consider it the next time I get tires (about 1-2 years away)... The tires are all 6/32" in every tread (just checked them with a gauge...)

How does one check the caliper function? Should I replace the rubber boots when I do my brakes?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
638 Posts
Have you tried rotating tyres front to back, see if there's any change? One front might've thrown a weight since last it was balanced. Lug nuts tight?

· Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
638 Posts
Sure. Once you get the wheel off, look at the brake pads for even wear. Uneven wear may indicate one pad is siezed in the caliper or the caliper pins are (siezed). Discolouration on the disc would probably mean a warped disc or stuck caliper. If it looks wrong it probably is. If you have a IR thermometer, do a temp test either side brakes after a run - if one side is appreciably hotter, that's likely the culprit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.