Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure that the ftwo seat and two back panels are leather. I was hopeing that the side wings were also leather. I did the sniff test and maybe my sniffer isn't as good as it used to be but I couldn't smell any difference in the seating surfaces and the outside wings. I really do hate to go about sniffing car seats so maybe someone will enlighten me. On the Eddie Bauer - only the four center panels are perforated - is this a clue that the side wings are just plastic?

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
I had read about the leather seats on the Outback having "plastic sides". Back too, maybe. Not sure why it didn't say vinyl, I thought the word plastic seemed odd at the time while I was reading about the optional seats.

I prefer cloth, myself and have never owned a car with leather anything. No sticking to them in summer, no freezing to them in winter (unless heated kind) and one reviewer had said they don't hold you in place as well.

I really like the one's in my mother's Cadillac; not so, the ones in my father's Jeep Cherokee. So it must vary a lot.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
I asked Subaru in Australia about this for the AUS-MY04 (USDM MY05) according to them the majority seat is leather, just some out of the way panels are a "closely matching artificial leather".

Personally I much prefer leather, I've NEVER slid around on it, and it lasts way better than any cloth. My 7 year old BMW 540i seats looked great still with over 100,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon - I do think that BMW leathers the seating surface and side panels - the entire frontal seating and back area. I hope the side panels in the Suby are leather - leather weathers real nice! Maybe some guru will let us know for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the heated leather seats in a 2001 Limited wagon. Very nice to heat the seat alone, not the entire cabin. The look is polished, sure you have to detail them, but hey its a Subie! I'm in Utah where weather extremes happen and they are very comfortable, great for touring too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts