Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the freeway last week and got nailed with a large rock that a cement truck kicked up, and as a result got a large crack in my windshield, about 10 inches in diameter, and over the course of that day the crack grew. My deductible is more than what it would cost so I am replacing on my own, without the insurance company. I did call them however, to see who they recommend, since they probably pay to replace a lot of windshields.

They recommended Safelite, but they wanted $377 to replace the windshield, and that's if I went to them, and would be more expensive if I had them come to my house to do it. This seems a little steep to me, but they said it's because I have a heated windshield (2012 2.5i Premium All-Weather Package CVT).

What's the consensus? Is this what a windshield costs these days to replace? Also, if anyone knows a reliable place in the San Diego area I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I was on the freeway last week and got nailed with a large rock that a cement truck kicked up, and as a result got a large crack in my windshield, about 10 inches in diameter, and over the course of that day the crack grew. My deductible is more than what it would cost so I am replacing on my own, without the insurance company. I did call them however, to see who they recommend, since they probably pay to replace a lot of windshields.

They recommended Safelite, but they wanted $377 to replace the windshield, and that's if I went to them, and would be more expensive if I had them come to my house to do it. This seems a little steep to me, but they said it's because I have a heated windshield (2012 2.5i Premium All-Weather Package CVT).

What's the consensus? Is this what a windshield costs these days to replace? Also, if anyone knows a reliable place in the San Diego area I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance for your input!
Appx $ 200 - average. Best place is Safelite - they have outlets all over the country, including Calif. My son just got one replaced in L.A. area by them on 2005 Forester..
In some states (like FL) it's free! It's a mandatory item on FL mandatory car insurance policies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced my 2001's old pitted windshield. Safelite quoted almost double what the well-reviewed mom and pop independent glass shop charged. I'm not in your area, but you could give that a try too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just replaced my 2001's old pitted windshield. Safelite quoted almost double what the well-reviewed mom and pop independent glass shop charged. I'm not in your area, but you could give that a try too.
That's who gave me the $377 quote...Safelite. Thought it was a little steep.

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts

I would double check to see if you have a deductible (although it sounds like you're pretty sure of yourself). Usually there is no deductible for glass. Safelite replaced my windshield without any monetary contribution from myself.

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
Safelite replaced my Toyota windshield last Monday "Veterans Day" for $188.00 first they quoted me $209 but since I am a veteran I got a little discount.

sbpark, you can try to call ALL Star Glass at Main street their prices are also good, talk to Nancy and make some willing and dealing.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
It's very likely that every "glass shop" in your area is getting the window from the same wharehouse. This is truly one of those situations where you ca go by price alone.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
I would still check with your insurance company about glass replacement deductibles. My old insurance company charged standard deductible, however I've been on Geico for about 6 months now and low and behold they cover chip repair for free (just had a decent one fixed yesterday), but if you end up needing a new windshield, it's only a $50 deductible (my normal is $250) for an entire replacement if the claim is for glass only. ALWAYS worth checking to see what they can do for you

With that said, expect $300+ given that it has a heating element built into the lower portion. It's up to you whether or not you want another with the heating element (must have in Missouri for me), as you could replace it with a standard one for cheaper without issue.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
An OEM replacement should run in the mid $300's. I'd recommend going OEM. Like others have said, check with your insurance company first.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
An OEM replacement should run in the mid $300's. I'd recommend going OEM. Like others have said, check with your insurance company first.
In my area, local Subaru goes with Safelite. They don't replace windshield themselves - they subcontract that, like many other things that local dealers subcontract (like rag top replacements on convertibles....

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
I would still check with your insurance company about glass replacement deductibles. My old insurance company charged standard deductible, however I've been on Geico for about 6 months now and low and behold they cover chip repair for free (just had a decent one fixed yesterday), but if you end up needing a new windshield, it's only a $50 deductible (my normal is $250) for an entire replacement if the claim is for glass only. ALWAYS worth checking to see what they can do for you.
That's interesting. I had Geico when my windshield was chipped. Safelite did the chip repair for free, but I complained that you could still see the mark, so they replaced the entire windshield with an oem, also for free.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
348 Posts
That's interesting. I had Geico when my windshield was chipped. Safelite did the chip repair for free, but I complained that you could still see the mark, so they replaced the entire windshield with an oem, also for free.
It also varies state to state. In CO, every company except for State Farm provides free chip repair (no deductible or premium increase) under some state law.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP
50 Posts
I can't help much on the cost numbers but I'd be looking for new insurance. Every insurance option in my area has no deductible for windshield repairs and very low or no deductible for complete windshield replacement.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is not a chip, its a big crack. Allstate repairs chips for free, but not full replacements. they cannot repair a crack that is bigger than the width of a dollar bill.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I replaced a window 3yrs ago in my old truck. Each window shop will carry different brands of glass. What I found out is that there is actually a difference in glass quality between brands. Some have wide price ranges others have fairly standard prices for what is considered pretty good quality glass. A good glass shop will take the time to explain this and let you decide what you want to do.

In my case the window being replaced was clearly not OEM prior owner replaced it at some point - the glass was not very good quality lots of small voids which did impact visibility to some extent it was cracked though from a rock so I needed to replace it.

The local family shop that replaced the window for me suggested their mid level window given I had mentioned the lower quality of the window we were replacing. The new window was like $30 more than the cheaper one and the quality of the glass was clearly better. I recall it was like $300

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Sounds like a great price with a heating element. I've replaced windhshields on every car I've owned. My Impreza was the most expensive at >$500. But it was within the first year of a new model. Even my Hyundai was ~$300 without a heating element.

I have Geico and I don't have a sperate glass deductible, it's the same as my comprehensive. It seems that may vary state to state.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Some states have road funds dedicated to windshield replacements you can file a claim against it with the state and get your money back or some of it etc. Most people never bother given they generally make the claim process difficult by design.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts