Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I live in a college town with 40k permanent residents, double that when semesters are in session. Being a car geek, I can recognize most any car at a distance. My other cars are quite rare (not due to value, just lack of interest :)) so I keep an eye out for "cars like mine." I've had the Outback for 3 months & never saw another titanium pearl monotone anything around here, until this week:

A friend drove me to lunch the other day, & on the way back (there's only 2 roads to get back to my building) I almost flipped to see a titanium pearl OB sedan coming our way... then I noticed it had plates on the front bumper (we don't do those in PA) so I realized it wasn't mine being stolen :D

A couple days later I passed another titanium pearl 4-cylinder sedan in traffic.

I was getting gas today & a titanium pearl LL Bean wagon pulled in at the other end of the pumps.

At this rate, there will be nothing but titanium Outbacks on the road within a few weeks :claphead:

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I'm not sure if I am lucky to live where I do, or totally unlucky:

I see "my car" at least 5-10 times A DAY. And I'm not just talking about '97 Outbacks in general, I mean WHITE Outbacks. They might be 97, 98, or 99s. And they are often time the Limited versions. But I see hood scooped 1st Gen. Outbacks everywhere.

If you take into account ALL the scooby's that I see on a daily basis, the total number would run well into the 60's without a doubt, probably more depending on how much driving I do.

So, am I blessed to live in a town where Subaru is very popular (perhaps, the MOST popular)? Or...am I unlucky to live in a town where my car gives me absolutely no individuality?

It's the latter reason that really makes me want to give my car a little exterior "bling," but most if it is totally lame and gaudy. I'll leave that crap to the Civic's and Integra's.

I've wanted to put the hood scoop from a Black '97 in place of my White '97 for quite a while, I imagine that would look pretty different and add a nice type of contrast to my hood.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Very rare for me to see a Sedona Red Pearl OBS. When I mean rare, I just had seen the first one ever besides mine with tinted windows just a couple weeks ago. And I live in an Omaha 'burb and work in Omaha. It's not like it's a small town or rural, there just isn't any Outback Sports around here, let alone my year, my color.

So needles to say I get excited when I see one like mine, too. Brian.

P.S. 'needles' is spelled correctly, you know, like pine needles? I'm freakin' odd like that...

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I frequently see other dark green ("Spruce Pearl") Outbacks here in Columbus. Some of them even have the crossbars off, as mine does. I doubt, however, that there is another OB with canoe dings on the roof in this town *G*

They are generally driven by women, which is one reason why I joke that I look like I'm borrowing my wife's car when I drive it.

Yeah, I'm just on my way to go get a rainforest-replenishing nut crunch bar after I drop off these recyclables...

It seems that OB sales have taken off in this town in the last two or three years. Most of the ones I see are newer than mine. There are plenty of Foresters, too, but not that many Impreza-based OB Sports.

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
I regularly see green/gold Outbacks, but white and red are far more common.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
Lots of white Outbacks here in Dayton. My brother commented on it the other day. He said he always notices white Outbacks but I'm never the person driving. Lately though I've seen a lot of wintergreen/seamist Outbacks. Wintergreen was the color I wanted but when you're buying used, you don't get much of a choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Theres only one other white Legacy L here, but its a different yaer. And of course the first time I find this out is when I park a few spaces down from it. So when i came back out i wondered why there was so much junk in my backseat. Of course once my key didnt work I put it all together and walked down to my car:D

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I have never seen my car. In fact, I have only seen one other '04 Outback Impreza on the road since July and that was white. That includes 17k miles all over various parts of VA and WVA and 2 round trips to Myrtle Beach, SC.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
I could have sworn I posted in this thread...

anyway,

I see bunches, but WNC is Scooby Central. I've only seen 1 other Blue 04 OBS and that was the last time I was at the dealer picking up oil filters.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
MrEd said:
At this rate, there will be nothing but titanium Outbacks on the road within a few weeks :claphead:
Sorry my friend, but I can say from having that color that there aren't too many around in any model OB. Here in Omaha I see tons of Subarus new and old driving around all the time. That being said I am one of only 3 known OB's in Omaha with my specific paint scheme. There is my OB, one Outback sedan like your's, and one LL Bean all 2003's. Although there are plenty 2004's in that color I can spot them from a mile away, I see my OB & its color scheme to unique in itself (based on model year and rarity) and I discount any 2004's with the same color.

Theirs one other member here (can't remember) who has the same model and color OB as me, that is the only other person I know of to have the same OB as myself.

·
Registered
2004 35th Anniversary Outback - H6
164 Posts
huh really never.. i haven't seen another 35th ann one every besides at the dealer. infact i only see about one out back every 2 days. guess there aren't to many here in so cal.

when i went to MD last year i saw tons of them!

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Well in about 2 months / 4400 km of driving the 3.0R I have only seen another one twice, and both times that was the same colour as mine. This is living in a city of close to 1 million.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
61 Posts
Where I live, in Montreal (Quebec) I see Outbacks everyday. This is one on the most popular Subaru in Quebec. Mine is blue and there is a LOT of blue Outbacks out there. I wanted to buy the red one (don't remembre the exact color name) which is pretty rare here, but like most of the guys I guess, the lady got the final word on the color!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Actually since posting that the other day I've seen a 3.0R and a 2.5, both silve and both in the same day. Actually saw the same 3.0R twice in the same day. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Seeing my Alpine white '02 Outback everyday, in my drive, on the streets, highway, freeway, and parking lots I get excited when I see the '03 fire mist? car rolling around. The thing is, if the fire mist isn't in the right light I don't like it. Boy, at the dealership, oh, yeah. They almost had a sale.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There's a woman down the street from me who has 01-02 OBS SIlverthorn like mine. However, its auto. And now that I have the Legacy LSi alloys, I can tell the difference;)

Another way to tell the diff is that I usually am driving mine :D

tbert

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Saw two today about 3 cars apart although they were the H6 model. Still good to see though.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
I passed an old guy on the interstate driving my car w/ PA tags. I waved- he didn't.

hows that for subaru comraderie...

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
bluOBS said:
I passed an old guy on the interstate driving my car w/ PA tags. I waved- he didn't.

hows that for subaru comraderie...
So I'm not the only one then :rolleyes: I've never had another Suby driver wave or even look sideways to aknowledge another Sub....so much for the "Subaru Brotherhood".

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Yeah, I notice that too - especially the WRX and STI people.

But then, as I have mentioned in other threads, I enjoy being invisible. The proof of the driver is in the driving, not in the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts