Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I change my oil usually at 3,000 miles on my 98 Subaru Outback, but have occasionally gone to 4,000. How often is the recommended miles for an oil change on a 1998? I can't find my car manual, so was curious what the recommendation is. I use high mileage oil, car has 182,000 on it. Drive mostly highway miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you use synthetic, every 5000 is perfectly fine. If you use conventional, I would say 3000 or 4000 at the most. But make sure you're checking your oil like every month cause they burn oil pretty bad. Atleast in my experience. My 98 outback is due for an oil change as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I mean I've heard of people even going ever 7500 to 10000 miles with synthetic but that's really pushing it and I wouldn't recommend that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
Reactions: Andrew Sederholm

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice chart. I can't imagine going 7,500 miles between oil changes. Oil must be pretty black by then if not synthetic.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
Nice chart. I can't imagine going 7,500 miles between oil changes. Oil must be pretty black by then if not synthetic.
I personally agree with andrew's answer in post #2,

and keep checking it once a month and top it off. if need be. I run 5w30 full sythetic now, and swap 5,000-6,000 miles.

I usually have to top off in the first few days after a oil change as things go into the nooks and crannies ('galleries"),
and if I am just topping off to get me to the next oil change it gets some plain old cheap dino oil.

_____

now: in the irreconcilable differences area of this forum one can argue weight, dino, blended, or full synthetic. ...but in my cars for more then 20 years I have been running full synthec as the dino oil turns to thin brunt smelling pepsi after 1200 or so miles.

but hey its your car, and a free country.

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I use Valvoline 5W30 High Mileage Full Synthetic (only sold at Meijer stores near me) and change at 5k miles. Like Eagleeye says, it's a free country for you to do as you see fit.

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
really depends on your climate and driving patterns.
lots of highway can let oil run longer.
lots of city (think like a taxi) will wear out the oil faster.

i drive mixed and have tended to do 2-3 changes a year probably between 3000-4500 miles each time. (97 EJ25D 211k miles)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
3-4k is fine and plenty early.

Why are you asking?
Cost, you want to extend it, or you're worried 4k was too long (it most certainly was not)?

Facts:

1. An oil analysis can quantitatively tell you what to do - no opinions, no guessing, no random numbers.

2. Subaru says 7,500: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

Due to high prevalence of oil loss on older vehicles, unknown 20 years of history, it would be best to complete task #1 above or use a shorter interval than recommended in #2 if you're just going to throw a dart at numbers on a wall and aim based on internet babble.

Whatever you do - check it more than you change it. Oil choices are nearly benign (in the ways they're typically discussed like this), checking oil level is way more beneficial. No one is blowing up engines or having unparalleled success because they chose a particular brand, weight or WXYZ change intervals.

Uncounted people are blowing up engines because of low oil level.

This is probably the wrong question to be asking. There's probably questionable timing pulleys, who knows how often the coolant, brake fluid, trans fluid, front diff have ever been replaced, and there's any number of preventative maintenance that would get you a reliable 100,000 miles miles and oil decisions aren't one of them.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
345 Posts
My 08 with 14500 miles gets an oil change every 6 months. I use the Amsoil 5W-30XL blend and I am now only driving 6-7000 miles in that time period. I check it often and will have to add 1 quart between drains. I've had the car since new and suffered no ill effects from my schedule.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts