Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Medical issues are forcing me go give up 4runner that I built into perfect for me overlanding/wheeling rig. People might remember me as bradze, I had a 4th gen with more mods than anyone else. Outback is a great car but I'm not making mistake again of not getting a limited H6. I'm done with mods but I probably will pay to have all the chrome painted black and a CAI and a free flowing exhaust. I'm not completely dead inside yet. Anyway my friend told me don't get a cvt, too many issues. Thoughts?

Couldn't find any pics of lesbaru; phone was stolen last year. Here's what I'm giving up.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
thoughts... well, you can't not get a CVT in an outback unless you go prior to 2015. I had a 2015 3.6... did not have any problems with it. Even got a good deal on a trade in with the hail damage.

Why not use your old account?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Hey bubby. I can try to restore your old account if you want.

I still have your winch installed on mine.

I have a Gen 5 3.6 with the CVT. 0 Issues with the trans. I have documented all the failures on it here:

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Hey bubby. I can try to restore your old account if you want.

I still have your winch installed on mine.

I have a Gen 5 3.6 with the CVT. 0 Issues with the trans. I have documented all the failures on it here:

I almost posted the "why you're wrong about the CVT" video, but figured he'd been on the site enough prior to know about the CVT anyway... until I owned a CVT equipped outback, I hated my prior CVT experience (rental cars, loaners, friend's cars). 2015 was a big leap of faith for me from the gen4 H6 I had.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
I almost posted the "why you're wrong about the CVT" video, but figured he'd been on the site enough prior to know about the CVT anyway... until I owned a CVT equipped outback, I hated my prior CVT experience (rental cars, loaners, friend's cars). 2015 was a big leap of faith for me from the gen4 H6 I had.
Yeah. I see Nissan units have issues and for some reason the Foz XT seems to have a higher than normal documented failure. I might do a follow up on that video one day since I only really researched the Outback specifically.

But I've owned 3 CVT's and they've been great.

They're not the best automatic I've ever driven but they're honestly the best Subaru automatic I've ever driven.

Not that that's saying much.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
^going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one

5EAT > CVT with the 3.6L it can take FAR more abuse and will give you more usable power and not cut out to save it's self. As much as I loathe these guys, they have a valid point in this case in regards to Subaru

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
^going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one

5EAT > CVT with the 3.6L it can take FAR more abuse and will give you more usable power and not cut out to save it's self. As much as I loathe these guys, they have a valid point in this case in regards to Subaru
Do you have one showing a 5EAT make it through that same spot?

Because I've seen 4EAT's do the same thing. I even have video of it if you wanna see.

You can just sort of stall them out in certain situations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts