Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to a store that installs rack he said there is no way to attach tepui to my car
1. weight issues
2. can not get my hand underneath tepui to get screws on factory bolts
3. can not find a riser kit to attach to factory rails
4. factory rails need to be laid across (open position) car as no room to attach crossbar in the stored position only about 18 inches of space
5. dont want to spend 4900$ on tent and attachements to go camping!!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
50 Posts
I have a RTT but I don't install it on the Outback. We use our car to explore the area we're camping at and folding the tent every time we want to go somewhere is not an option. I built a rack to mount the tent on an inexpensive utility trailer. We have room for 2 kayaks or bicycles plus all our camping equipment. The entire setup fully loaded is about 700lbs. The Outback easily handles the trailer. Its been a really good setup for us.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
264 Posts
Yakima is supposedly working on a Landing Pad that will replace the factory bars that go across and mount into the same holes. They have made them in the past but aren't out for the 2020 yet. Weight capacity should be enough for the tent, have seen it done many times on previous years.

I worked in the rack world for a few years but haven't since 2017, so I'm a little outdated on the newest info, although it really hasn't changed much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tepui sky. I called them and they don't have an answer. asn i called thule neither do they. Subaru commercial looks like its an outdoor car, but if it wont hold a tent... seriously!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,858 Posts
tepui sky. I called them and they don't have an answer. asn i called thule neither do they. Subaru commercial looks like its an outdoor car, but if it wont hold a tent... seriously!
plenty of roof top tent threads here.

find out the shipping weight of the tent.

read the owners manual and see how much weight the roof rack is designed to hold. (I am thinking about 200# = the roof rack is for bikes / kayaks)

so if you were to stuff some small children up there.

does the tent company make any claims about it being rabid raccoon, grizzly bear, and mountain lion proof ?

better ideas expressed on this forum. = regular tents,....off loading the contents of the car into the tent, and sleeping inside the car on a foam mattress. (out of the rain, hopefully free of bugs)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
50 Posts
For reasons explained in my previous post I am not a fan of mounting the RTT on the vehicle. Sleeping in the Outback isn't an option either because that's where the coolers and other food is stored overnight as a deterrence to animals. It's also a requirement at every state park I've camped. Putting the RTT on a trailer solves all those problems plus I never worry about finding a level and dry area to pitch the tent. Yes it's initially expensive to buy the tent but the advantages for me outweigh the cost. I can also open the tent in less than 10 minutes while still attached to the car if we need a quick overnight stop. There are advantages and disadvantages to any setup you just have to figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you attach the tepui to the roof? what thule or yakima or generic attachment is used? the factory crossbars are too close to the roof to access the screws to hold it down.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
264 Posts
How do you attach the tepui to the roof? what thule or yakima or generic attachment is used? the factory crossbars are too close to the roof to access the screws to hold it down.
I've usually seen people go with a Yakima Skyline setup with the Outback-specific landing pad (Made by Yakima). This will put new cross bars going across the vehicle and another 3+" of height so there will be room to get the Tepui mounts around the bar. The catch is that the landing pad for the 2020 isn't out yet as I guess there was a redesign on the new Subaru bar system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. I purchased some cross racks on amazon for 49$ they fit great and give me the extra height. Yakima was a 900$ fix this was 49$ Y time you add tent cost and Yakima rack you can rent a cabin for the summer. Poor design from Subaru

1 - 11 of 11 Posts