Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, can anyone give me tips on how to black out the chrome trim around my outback doors? And not Plasti-dip. That stuff looks like crap. Any tips or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks community!!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,893 Posts
I used this:

https://amzn.to/2Ji68z5

I had to order a second roll because I was just barely short. Best just to order the double roll.

I even made a video because there isn't a lot out there for applying it:

It's held up great. Goes through car washes just fine. I need to re do a section that's my own fault but it peels off if you want.

It may only last "5-7 years" but its a lot less mess, prep, and effort than plastidip. Plastidip is going to look awful in 7 years. It will really look awful in 2. Go look up long term plastidip pictures. It's all awful

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,669 Posts
Also look at removing the trim ( if you can without damaging it), bead-blast it, and paint using the black PPG DP90 epoxy primer. We've used it for decades on mag race wheels, and it is tough stuff that will last years.

·
Registered
2015 Legacy 3.6R, 2018 BMW 430i xDrive convertible
25 Posts
I bought some matte and satin black chrome delete vinyl to do my Legacy. Then I sold it and my next car didn’t have chrome trim. But that’s the best solution over plastidip for the chrome delete. I dipped mine and didn’t like it so I bought the vinyl. Sold the car before I got around to it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wanted to share my experience and some tips for installing the vinyl on my trim. Thanks @Brucey for the video, that helped and gave me an idea of what I was getting into. I used the same vvivid wrap that Brucey mentioned. The one main pointer I wanted to give people that differs from his video is for the curved sections, which are the hardest. Make sure to align the INSIDE edge of the curve first, then once that’s aligned, all you have to do is push and stretch the vinyl outward and it will lay on the curved parts perfectly. I tried aligning the outside edge first, but it’s extremely hard to then get it to lay flat without bends and bubbles, and I had to rip it off and waste a piece. After I tried aligning and pressing down the inside edge first it went on perfectly flat and easily. No heat gun needed with this method! See my photos for which side of the curved parts I stuck down first.

Also as Brucey mentioned, make sure you get a double roll. I barely had enough to finish it, granted I messed up once. I had a little issue getting the edges to stick, but I might’ve just not cleaned the edges enough, so make sure you really clean the inside edges of the trim. Overall it’s a bit tedious, but definitely not as bad as installing the lift! Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
How long did it take you guys? Also how easy is it to get air bubbles out?

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
How long did it take you guys? Also how easy is it to get air bubbles out?
Took me about an hour maybe a little longer. Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. Once you do one side the next side will be a lot easier. Just make sure to lay down the inside edge first on the curved parts like I said. Will make your life way easier. I didn’t have too much of a problem with air bubbles, just used my fingers/credit card to slide them out. Be careful with a card though as it can scratch the vinyl.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
68 Posts
I used the kit. I didn't care to sling a blade around the entire window perimeter. With beginner's luck the driver's side went on nearly perfect. There are three or four spots on the other side where I couldn't work a bubble out and left a little ridge that's barely noticeable though I tried smoothing with card/fingernail. The kit is well cut. The seller confirms gloss or matte black when ordering.
dechrome1.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used the kit. I didn't care to sling a blade around the entire window perimeter. With beginner's luck the driver's side went on nearly perfect. There are three or four spots on the other side where I couldn't work a bubble out and left a little ridge that's barely noticeable though I tried smoothing with card/fingernail. The kit is well cut. The seller confirms gloss or matte black when ordering. View attachment 473646
Nice! I was looking at getting this kit as well -- any tips on the install? Or anything to watch out for?

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
68 Posts
Nice! I was looking at getting this kit as well -- any tips on the install? Or anything to watch out for?
Bengal's third photo above is where you get before laying over the top(although this kit has you lay in the whole curve at the back, and a couple inches up, as part of the bottom rear strip, Bengal looks to have the seam in the corner?). The long curves top front and back are where I had the most trouble getting it to lay flat and you want to try and not play with it too much. If you get the inside edge correct it lays on perfectly(if those curves cooperate). Lay the inside edge tight to the rubber, where a thumbnail works it tight into the rubber. You get two of the little Nikes in front for each side so I started there for practice and didn't need the spares! You get a inch or three extra on the long strips so trim after layed down with a razor using the little plastic trim end cap as a guide so there's enough to tuck it tight on the inside edge of the cap so as to hide every glint of that
50s chrome.
edit: and clean and dry well before starting. Peel off six or ten inches of the paper as you lay it down. I did this in a 70F garage and was able to pick up and lay back down and it all stuck very well. I'd like to see suggestions on working out the bubbles of too much material. You want to avoid stretching the material picking up and back down if you find yourself needing to do that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bengal's third photo above is where you get before laying over the top(although this kit has you lay in the whole curve at the back, and a couple inches up, as part of the bottom rear strip, Bengal looks to have the seam in the corner?). The long curves top front and back are where I had the most trouble getting it to lay flat and you want to try and not play with it too much. If you get the inside edge correct it lays on perfectly(if those curves cooperate). Lay the inside edge tight to the rubber, where a thumbnail works it tight into the rubber. You get two of the little Nikes in front for each side so I started there for practice and didn't need the spares! You get a inch or three extra on the long strips so trim after layed down with a razor using the little plastic trim end cap as a guide so there's enough to tuck it tight on the inside edge of the cap so as to hide every glint of that
Cool - great tips, thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts