Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
rail dust?

what is rail dust ? do you drive on railroad tracks.........LOL.
I'll assume thats a typo for brake dust..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: rail dust?

scooby said:
what is rail dust ? do you drive on railroad tracks.........LOL.
I'll assume thats a typo for brake dust..:rolleyes:
No... I mean rail dust. All new cars in the US are transported on trains at one point or another. Rust from the railroads is thrown into the air and settles into the paint. :p

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
I clayed the Scubaru a couple weeks ago, and couldn't believe the difference. The paint had always been kinda dull and rough to touch....probably where it sat on the lot for 6 months. Even after using a cleaner/wax, it perked up, but still had the rough finish. I thought it was just Subaru paint.

After claying, the metalic in the Wintergreen and Titanium (I think) just popped, and the finish was as smooth as glass. I did everything but the glass, tires and mudflaps! I used Griot's Garage clay and Speedshine for lubricant. It's not difficult at all, and took about an hour or so. I could have done it a little quicker, but I was doing a panel at a time for comparrisons.

I washed it this weekend, not thinking it wasn't too dirty, but it was filthy...just the shine came though the dirt.

·
Registered
05 Outback XT Ltd.
26 Posts
What the **** is clay bar-ing?? n/m

Never heard of this before.......Thx.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Will this process help breathe new life into older paint jobs...say a '97 white outback...?

Not that I ever have time to wash my car, let alone rub a little bar all over the surface...

·
Registered
297 Posts
The clay bar is a sticky glob of stuff (think Playdough) that you gently rub on all the hard surfaces of the car, with the help of a little liquid lubriant, like soapy water or detailer spray, and it removes all the dirt particles embeded in the clearcoat, and makes the paint finish cleaner and clearer.

Or as my wife sees it, another excuse for me to play in the garage all afternoon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've used detailing clay for many things, especially for overspray and scuffs from black sole shoes.. It definitely smoothes out the clearcoat finish..

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
So does it slowly wear down the clear coat finish? I mean could overuse damage the paint in the long term?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It SHOULD be safer on the clearcoat, i think, than a cleaner type wax, 'cause it has a lubricant (detailer or soapy water) and the clay picks up the contaminates on the clearcoat, rather than "grinding" them and a little bit of clear coat off with the abrasives in a cleaner type wax. Plus, you do it before you wax, only 2-3 times a year.

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Just did this to my car over the weekend and I am very happy with the results. Should have done it ages ago but lucky for me the surface wasn't as bad as others I have seen. Now just to wax it today or tomorrow. Now that I have a company car (another Subaru) the OB stays in the garage most of the time. I still take it out on the weekends though as this will also be my business vehicle (see signature).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
26 Posts
But what if...

Would I still be able to use it on my rear spoiler? I have one of those top fins on my 97 Rally Sport Outback, and the clearcoat has recently started to come off of the edges... would I still be able to use the clay bar on that area of the car? Or would it not be safe...

I'm thinking of replacing the spoiler altogether, but for now would like to know if the Clay Bar would be an okay option.

Thanks!

F

·
0 Posts
The claybar won't remove clearcoat, and if your clearcoat is coming off, the claybar isn't a solution to smooth out the differences.

The claybar really is like a paint squeegee--you wash your car with the most wax stripping soap you can find, then spray a lube (i think a capful of decent car wash into a 32 oz spray bottle works) right in front of the bar, and squeegee the lube off, for lack of a better description. there is clay residue that you have to wash off again--then you start with the waxing.

I used Zaino's clay bar on my 350Z-i completed the car with one bar, with plenty left over. One note, if you drop the claybar on the ground, it's finished--throw it away.

But, the difference is amazing. And, I think the Zaino products are amazing, and very easy to use.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
26 Posts
I understand that it is not a replacement for the clearcoat... i was just wondering if the bar would strip it off further where it is already damaged.

either way, i think i'll just stay clear from that area of the car.

·
Registered
98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
509 Posts
ok can any of you tell a difference between the clay in the clay bar kit from cheap kids modeling clay? :confused:

i couldn't at all and it makes me wonder....

F

·
0 Posts
Probably about $12.

I know the Zaino bar does not smell like clay, and is very firm. I'm sure the consistency is a little different, but i'm sure the products are similar.

·
Registered
98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
509 Posts
funkymonkey1111 said:
Probably about $12.

I know the Zaino bar does not smell like clay, and is very firm. I'm sure the consistency is a little different, but i'm sure the products are similar.
i compared a Zymol clay bar my dad had with some modeling clay of my younger sisters once and couldn't tell any difference.

i picked up a 4 pack of kids modeling clay at target for $1 but im afraid to try it, whilst i dont think theres a difference i'm still hesitant. maybe i'll use someone elses car as a test first.

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
'05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
3,594 Posts
I think that would be a very bad idea. While the clay particals in the two clay bars are probably very similar, the modeling clay probably has impurities like sand (silica) that will scratch the **** out of your paint.

F

·
0 Posts
without sounding too much like a jerk--if you're claybarring a car, you're probably more particular about your car's finish than the average joe who is satisfied with a plain old wax job. While I have no way to dispute the similarities of the two clays, i wouldn't think this would be a place to skimp. If you're skimping on this, why do it at all?

Now if someone would just provide me with a decent recipe for washer fluid....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts