Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just got a 2015 Outback and I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't really like is that you have to let the trunk open and close automatically. Is there anyway to disable this feature? I have looked through the manual and online and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium 2.5i
12 Posts
When I bought my Outback last week, I questioned the salesman about disabling the power lift gate. To his knowledge, there was no way to do this and leave the door operational.

·
Premium Member
2015 Outback LTD. EyeSite, Remote start, Moonroof package, Navigation, splash guards, BSM, Rear bumper protector, rear seat back protector. auto dimming side mirrors, aWeatherTech floorieliners,wi
285 Posts
This has been discussed on another thread and from what I could gather, you are stuck with it. I am not crazy about it either (about the only thing I do not care for) but have become used to it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 2.5i Touring
154 Posts
Coming from two previous SUV's in a row that did not have a power tailgate, we are enjoying it on the Outback! While the long term reliability is probably still an unknown, even with non-power tailgates, the hydraulic supports have a limited life as well. Admittedly, there is probably more to go wrong with the power tailgate and they can be temperamental at times.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Limited
266 Posts
If height is an issue, you can change how high it will open. You can get rid of that annoying beep too.

·
Registered
2015 Premium with Eyesight, Hitch and a few other things
390 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just got a 2015 Outback and I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't really like is that you have to let the trunk open and close automatically. Is there anyway to disable this feature? I have looked through the manual and online and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!
You can open it manually (long press on outside button).. it's just very stiff. Check out that other thread for lots of discussion.

Peter

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 2.5 Limited
194 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
It opens and closes slowly. If you are standing there, it seems to take a long time. The key is to change your behavior. Want to open it? Use your key fob or the button on the dash. It will be open by the time you get there. Once you have finished in there, press the button and walk away.
I probably would not have paid for it if it were a separate option, but I have to admit I like it.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,772 Posts
My wife is 4' 11" and could not reach a non powered tailgate without some modifications. On our '06 Outback I had to do a MacGyver on it and install a 10" strap to the tailgate so she could reach to close the tailgate. Another reason I bought the '15.

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
we have it on our mini van and when it became available on the 15 we traded in the 13. When you have severe arthritis you realize what a great convenience this is.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Limited
266 Posts
The motion sensor opener via foot swipe (or kick) on my Ford works way better in real life than I ever imagined.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with package #23
708 Posts
The motion sensor opener via foot swipe (or kick) on my Ford works way better in real life than I ever imagined.
Yea I was actually hoping for something like that although due to the speed (or lack of) of opening, I usually like to trigger it before I get to the back of the car so it is open by the time I get there with all my hiking gear etc.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback with Eyesight, etc
191 Posts
After 2 1/2 months I'm getting used to it. The soft button on the outside rear is way too touchy. It has to be pushed in "just so" or my tailgate just unlocks and relocks, but doesn't open. I'm up to about an 80% success rate on my first try.

I guess Rube Goldberg is a Subaru engineer.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
57 Posts
My wife has arthritis and asked for the power gate. Works well enough for us.
I don't think anyone would argue it doesn't work. I like it most of the time.

Just wishing for the option to turn it from auto to manual when desired.

The other thing that bugs me is that you have to hold down the interior button for so long. I'm not sure why it doesn't respond quicker.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited
171 Posts
I don't think anyone would argue it doesn't work. I like it most of the time.

Just wishing for the option to turn it from auto to manual when desired.

The other thing that bugs me is that you have to hold down the interior button for so long. I'm not sure why it doesn't respond quicker.
I have a 2015 Forrester loaner with a power liftgate while I wait for my Outback to arrive and it does seem annoying. I tried to open in from inside this morning, but I guess I didn't realize how long I have to hold it. 1/2 the time when I use the FOB I think it's failed because it's so slow to release so I inevitably try again and cause it to lock itself right after it finally decided to start to open.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found it slow and temperamental in it's operation. After a while I started to get better at operating it. I wish they would have split the glass from the rest of the liftgate like my Yukon had it. This would let you quickly open just the glass portion to load or retrieve something that didn't need the whole liftgate opened. I went skiing last month with a bunch of people. I closed the liftgate and then three different people forgot to retrieve something, each one after I had just started to close it. It was pretty comical.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How do stop the beep? As a wildlife photographer I bought the wilderness green to be more stealthy. However, the beeping of the hatch lifting gives me all the stealthiness of a trash truck backing in to do a pick up on a quiet weekend morning.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium 2.5 wilderness green EyeSight
199 Posts
How do stop the beep? As a wildlife photographer I bought the wilderness green to be more stealthy. However, the beeping of the hatch lifting gives me all the stealthiness of a trash truck backing in to do a pick up on a quiet weekend morning.
Same here. That beep is loud enough in the quiet wilderness to scare the critters away from a pretty far distance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.